BCP Decision...

Quiche867
Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
My endocrinologist wants me to stop taking Ocella (Generic Yasmin) and get an IUD and start taking Metformin. (he won't give me metformin if i'm on birth control.. i'm not sure why)

I'm going to make an appointment soon, but I'm a little worried about the IUD thing. Anyone have success with it with their PCOS?

Replies

• peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    I was on metformin while on the Pill and didn't have any issues. I feel like an IUD is a major decision--I'd get a second opinion.
  • FaithVanessa1987
    FaithVanessa1987 Posts: 11 Member
    I am just getting back on metformin and I take Yasmin as well. My doctor didn't seemed concerned at all. She wants me on the pill because of my irregular periods and metformin for my insulin levels. I will have to agree with peachy_keen to get a second opinion. An IUD is a major decision.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    I had an OB that wnated me to consider and IUD. I did and decided against it. I am on Lo Loestrin Fe right now. I also decided against Metformin. I took it for one month and could never get past the side effects. My cycle did not regulate on the pill until the last month.
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Your doctor may have made those recommendations based on your specific combination of issues. He/she may want to not mess with your hormone levels? IUDs are very effective and easy to remove if you are interested in procreating, but it is a personal choice. I would recommend asking for clarification why he/she doesn't want the bcp /metformin combination for you, or seek another opinion. Best of luck!