What is the 5:2 Fast Diet? (Includes Helpful Tips)

Options
Aurora1525
Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
WHAT IS THE 5:2 FAST DIET?
5 days out of the week, you eat whatever you want as you would normally. 2 days out of the week, you fast by only eating 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men on those days. That's it.

HOW DOES FASTING WORK?
Many people do fasting differently. From what I have read, it is considered optimal to have two 12-hour fasting periods within 24 hours. For example, if you are a woman, you can have a nice 250 calorie breakfast at 7:30am. Then you will wait until 7:30pm to have a 250 calorie dinner. (Note: It does not matter how you distribute your calories on fast days. You can have a 50 calorie breakfast and a 450 calorie dinner. It doesn't matter as long as you stick to the 500/600 calorie limit). At 7:30am the next day, you can have a regular breakfast (however calories you may want). This way, you have two 12 hour fasting periods. The 12 hour number is key since your body will first use the glucose in your blood, then stored glycogen, THEN stored fat for energy. 12 hours will allow time for your body to reach the stage in which it uses stored body fat for energy.

CAN I EAT ANYTHING ON MY FAST DAYS?
Technically yes, as long as you stay within your calorie limit. But some foods will make you feel more hungry much sooner than others. Select foods with a low glycemic index (under 50) and glycemic load (under 20). You can look foods up online or at http://www.glycemicindex.com/. High carb food should also be avoided.

CAN I EXERCISE?
Yes, of course. Exercise during fasting is actually quite beneficial since again, you'll be burning additional body fat.

WHAT IF I GET HUNGRY DURING MY FAST DAYS?
Drink lots of water or tea and coffee (no milk, no sugar). If you feel hungry, it may just be that you are dehydrated. A lot of our water is taken in through food and since you're not eating a lot of food on fast days, you may become dehydrated.

WHY DO THIS TO YOURSELF?
Fasting has been scientifically linked to lower rates of cancer, heart disease, dementia, and Alzheimers. Depending on whether or not your parents gave you some good genes, fasting may also increase your life span. But it is shown that even if your life span is not increased, the time which you stay healthy during your lifetime will increase. Not bad for 2 days a week, eh?

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HIT YOUR PERFECT WEIGHT?
At that point, you may only want to fast 1 day per week. To get a little extra fasting in to get the benefits of it, Dr. Michael Mosley fasts 1 day per week and has cut out lunch from his regular days.

So that's what the 5:2 diet is in a nutshell. If you are interested in more information, just search the internet for 5:2 diet or "the fast diet." OR if you want to be entertained, watch Dr. Michael Mosley's documentary Eat, Fast, and Live Longer by going to: video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/
This discussion has been closed.