Good Lifting Routine?

Options
Carolyn_79
Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
I'm finishing up my current lifting program (Body Beast by Beachbody) and I'm looking to start something new that will help enhance my running performance. Body Beast has me lifting 5 days a week which is too much. I'd prefer to lift 2 days a week and came across a program called Stronglifts 5 x 5. I did this routine a year ago and enjoyed it but I wasn't running at the time.

It consists of two Workouts (A & B) that you're suppose to alternate between 3x a week but I would likely do only twice.

Workout A:
Squats (5x5),
Bench Press (5x5),
Barbell Rows (5x5

Workout B:
Squats (5x5),
Overhead Press (5x5),
Deadlift (1x5).

I would add weighted lunges with a medicine ball twist, and planks to each workout to work my core. I'm looking for some feedback on whether this would be a good routine for a runner.

Replies

• RhodySeth
    RhodySeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good all purpose strength routine. I did Stronglifts for a few months at the beginning of last year. Like you, I only did it twice a week but I found that I definitely improved as I went on. I'm doing a couple P90X workouts right now on my off-running days but I could definitely see myself doing some Stronglifts again instead in the future.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I looked on Hal Higdon's website and he has a great lifting routine there. I plan on starting something like that. I lift heavier weights in the winter during the off season. I do lighter and more during running season.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Last year when training for the Snowdonia Marathon I did Wendlers 5/3/1 and combined the Squats and Dealift days. The four weekly deload works well in conjunction with something like Hal Higdons Marathon schedules so when you drop the mileage you go light and your body has chance to recover.

The problem with Stronglifts is if you are squatting as much as you should be then to combine that with running will be very hard.

I'm currently doing Westside for Skinny B@stards at the moment as the midweek leg day suits my training plan
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

The problem with Stronglifts is if you are squatting as much as you should be then to combine that with running will be very hard.

Why is that? Because of soreness?
  • Dizzle_65
    Options

Yes, even training only twice a week the DOMS would definitelty impact on the running, I had to stop aGVT for the same reason.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options

Yes, even training only twice a week the DOMS would definitelty impact on the running, I had to stop aGVT for the same reason.

Could I modify it by either lifting slightly lighter or doing lighter weight and more reps?
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    It depends on your goals, personally I only do legs once a week. I am a bit older so there is the issue of recovery time but I tend to find that even if my legs aren't aching once I start running they can tire quite quickly.

My "Leg Day" is Squats, Leg Press Deadlifts and Lunges
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    One of the major factors to improving your running performance via lifting is to first identify weaknesses. It is natural to train to our strengths, but the best improvements are made by focusing on weaknesses. Many runners have developed weaknsses in certain areas of the body that cause them to be less efficient or get hurt. The first step is identifying these weaknesses, then rewiring the brain to use the correct muscles, and perform movements correctly (usually done with light or no resistance) finally strengthen the correct muscles.

Single leg work (single leg pistol squats, single leg dead lifts) are both quite effective. Many runners don't have good single leg stability which is important in running.

Glutes and core are often week, and can benefit from training. As far as core you want to target stabilization muscles not movement muscles so situps and crunches won't help your running much.

Also when strength is applied to running power is more useful than force. This means when you are performing a movement such as a squat do so in a fast "explosive" manner. This helps you improve your power. Compound functional movements such as kettle bell swings are also a great way to train functional power.
  • lfost917
    lfost917 Posts: 6
    Options
    Im in love with the Nike Training Center app. It has kept me occupied for awhile now. You make the workouts as easy or as difficult as necessary and also it is FREE!! Really good for when you want to get in some strength training but you dont have time to go anywhere to do it.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    One of the major factors to improving your running performance via lifting is to first identify weaknesses. It is natural to train to our strengths, but the best improvements are made by focusing on weaknesses. Many runners have developed weaknsses in certain areas of the body that cause them to be less efficient or get hurt. The first step is identifying these weaknesses, then rewiring the brain to use the correct muscles, and perform movements correctly (usually done with light or no resistance) finally strengthen the correct muscles.

Single leg work (single leg pistol squats, single leg dead lifts) are both quite effective. Many runners don't have good single leg stability which is important in running.

Glutes and core are often week, and can benefit from training. As far as core you want to target stabilization muscles not movement muscles so situps and crunches won't help your running much.

Also when strength is applied to running power is more useful than force. This means when you are performing a movement such as a squat do so in a fast "explosive" manner. This helps you improve your power. Compound functional movements such as kettle bell swings are also a great way to train functional power.

Thanks! That makes complete sense!