what 6 items do you track, and why?

erniemj
erniemj Posts: 187 Member
On MFP, you can adjust which six items you can track (I desperately want 7 - although when you click on show report, it shows all of the major things you can track) - I currently track -

Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Sugar
Sodium

I would also like to track fiber - as I feel that fiber is essential to ensuring you are fully processing the other items. Sodium I track to ensure that if I go, I try to drink extra water - because it does not take much extra sodium to store extra water! And sugar, well, its an eye-opener if you do not track sugar - which is essentially a wasted calorie - not a whole lot of nutritional value at all.

Just curious to see what others track and why!

Replies

• true90inc
    true90inc Posts: 33 Member
    I track:

Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium

I would like to track Sugar too, but I get a good idea with total overall carbs. I do need fiber - I find that I really struggle to get enough, and as you get older, it is important for good health. Carbs, because I am type 2 diabetic, and I like to keep them limited when I can (I am controlled with diet and exercise, but it is good to know). Sodium, well - it blows me up like a balloon - and I like to know when I overdo that my weight will go up! And - with my family history of heart disease, well - I just like to keep it in check.

So - here is another question to add to the topic:

Do you keep an eye on your macros when you are planning you meals? I do - as I plan a day (or more ahead of time). So, If I am having pasta for dinner, I try to do a lower carb breakfast and lunch!
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    sugar,protein, and sodium are the biggest for me.

seems like the sugar and sodium are always the highest and protein the lowest...
    always working on this.
  • lindseymruth
    lindseymruth Posts: 28 Member
    I track
    Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium

I honestly should pay more attention to these. When I am way over in sodium I try to drink more water but really it just gives me a reference point if I wake up bloated (went over on sodium) or if at the end of the day i'm still starving (not enough fiber)
    I am thinking of upping my protein intake which is currently at 77. Since I am at my goal weight and want to tone up and add more muscle but I haven't researched too much into how much protein I SHOULD eat. Any tips?
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium

The above for me too. I'm afraid to track sugar :blushing:. I went with sodium for the same reason as the rest of you. To try and get a handle on what and how things affect my body. And fiber just to make sure I was getting enough (also...see previous statement re: sugar. LOL)

Lindsay, the rule of thumb for protein is .8 - 1 g per pound of lean body mass. My goal right now is set at 100 g. That's really tough for me to hit without using protein powder.
  • lindseymruth
    lindseymruth Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for the lean boy mass tip! I think I'll change it to around 97 as that's my lean body mass according to a calculator I found online. I'll have to step it up to get that much each day!
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    I keep my protein/carbs/fat to 40/40/20 percent - but I never never never come close on protein...sigh...it is very very difficult being a vegetarian to get enough protein (except with protein powders) without going over on my carbs. It is a goal, but one I never make...one day maybe....
  • juliasnewlife
    juliasnewlife Posts: 50 Member
    I track:

Cal
    Carb
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium