bacon

Options
kelr0110
kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
Probably has been brought up before, but in the hunt for bacon today and all have added sugar even though it says 0 sugar. This is a no no anyway isn't it? Do all your bacons says no sugar in the ingredients? Wanted to make that spinach bacon stuffed chicken as well this week....

Against my hunch, the boyfriend said ooh sure let's get it anyways. But I have my suspicions.

Thanks

Replies

• cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I can't seem to find any bacon that is approved. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. I have found uncured bacon with no nitrates and no all this other stuff but it has either brown sugar or sugar listed in ingredients...Someone please help! LOL
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya, stay away during the Whole30. There are very very few bacon options out there andyou'd have to go to specialty stores to find it from what I understand.
    It's good for after though. I usually don't stress too too much about it outside the W30 (I have 3 packs of bacon in my freezer awaiting the end of the 30 days).

I was trying to do the same and settled on prosciutto (pancetta would likely be a good option too).

These are my mushroom-stuffed, prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast. I made these as an alternate to the bacon-stuffed chicken.
    103vgqg.jpg
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ya, stay away during the Whole30.
    It's good for after though. I usually don't stress too too much about it otherwise though (have 3 packs of bacon in my freezer awaiting the end of the 30 days.

I was trying to do the same and settled on prosciutto (pancetta would likely be a good option too).

These are my mushroom-stuffed, prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0enn8h8em9amaid/2013-04-20 19.24.51.jpg

I don't even know what prosciutto is? lol does it taste like bacon? where do you find it? thank you so much!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what prosciutto is? lol does it taste like bacon? where do you find it? thank you so much!
    Yup, very similar to bacon, but very thin and salty. You should be able to find it at basically any grocery store. Usually it's around the salamis and special cheeses and stuff like that.

072011.jpg
  • kelr0110
    Options
    Ahhhhh ok. Thank you. I looked at the prosciutto too but didn't get it. Bummer deal on the bacon lol. Your Foodz looks good!
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on bacon for the Whole 30: While I totally understand that the point of this exercise is to get away from processed foods and bacon, through it's curing process and the ingredients that go into it, definitely falls under that category. However, the fact is that while there is sugar in the curing process, it's such a miniscule amount! I mean, I'm doing the Whole 30 to slay the sugar dragon in my life, so while bananas and dried fruit (in a limited amount) are kosher and bacon isn't doesn't make sense to me. I would rather avoid sweets, even in the form of fruit because they trigger my cravings even further, and relax and eat a damn piece of bacon every once in a while that has 0g of sugar in it. But that's just me.

And don't get me started on the whole nitrite/nitrate thing. Chriss Kresser wrote some interesting things on it.

But Whole 30 = Whole foods. I rely too much on processed meats sometimes (Applegate organic sausages/lunch meats) so this is a good exercise.

Oh, and fufonzo, I might have tried to eat my computer screen when I saw the dinner you posted. It looks amazing! Prosciutto is the deal!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on bacon for the Whole 30: While I totally understand that the point of this exercise is to get away from processed foods and bacon, through it's curing process and the ingredients that go into it, definitely falls under that category. However, the fact is that while there is sugar in the curing process, it's such a miniscule amount! I mean, I'm doing the Whole 30 to slay the sugar dragon in my life, so while bananas and dried fruit (in a limited amount) are kosher and bacon isn't doesn't make sense to me. I would rather avoid sweets, even in the form of fruit because they trigger my cravings even further, and relax and eat a damn piece of bacon every once in a while that has 0g of sugar in it. But that's just me.

And don't get me started on the whole nitrite/nitrate thing. Chriss Kresser wrote some interesting things on it.

But Whole 30 = Whole foods. I rely too much on processed meats sometimes (Applegate organic sausages/lunch meats) so this is a good exercise.

Oh, and fufonzo, I might have tried to eat my computer screen when I saw the dinner you posted. It looks amazing! Prosciutto is the deal!

I agree with you Kerrek! I did avoid bacon on my first few W30s (even though I get mine from a local farm with grass-fed, free range piggies and it is nitrate/nitrite free, it does have some sugar in the processing). I am avoiding fruit and even sweet taters this time around (personal experiment), but I'm keeping my bacon, dammit! LOL! I don't think it hurts to avoid it, as it sort of "forces" you to try some other things out.
  • kelr0110
    Options
    Thank you for the differing opinions. It did say 0g sugar but it has it on the ingredients. I was stressing for like 5 mins. Then I posted the OP when I got home but in the meantime he had cooked some up so I was really beating myself up after reading more into it for eating 2 slices of this bacon lol.

Other than this and another instance, I was perfect all week. The other was kind of a medical necessity. It was an alcohol sugar because Percocet apparently had some side effects that I didn’t know about (I had surgery last wednesday)…..so I needed to drink this 12 oz bottle of stuff. It was an “inactive ingredient” - propylene glycol or something crazy. It is used in radiators too apparently …the stuff they let us consume!? But I knew immediately when I tasted it, it was gross and sweet.

So idk if I'm starting over again or what, but I think being a yogurt/sweets/bread junkie and only having those two things all week be my "added sugar" consumption was a gigantic victory for me. I also bought my first whole chicken yesterday (something which really used to gross me out) and crockpotted it with lemon and spices....yum.

Anyway, thank you again for the help - I was like wtf where's the no sugar bacon? lol Not buying the bananas this week either - they helped a bit for the first week, but switching over for this week to plums/blueberries, etc...if needed