Feeling cold after hard run

Saree1902
Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this...

After today's fast 6 mile run, I'm really struggling to get warm! I also noticed this after a punishing half marathon last month.

I've never had this issue after shorter runs or steady long runs so I'm wondering if it's to do with tougher runs?

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    I know you get goosebumps and chills from dehydration... Maybe that's it?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    I have this problem frequently. I assumed it was because Mother Nature has been late delivering spring and it's just cold & windy every d@mn day. But I had the same problem when I was out in Phoenix last week, and it's not cold & windy there. So I'm interested to see any suggestions.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    It could be you're underdressing or lingering a while outdoors after the run. Or that you're drinking a lot of cold liquid afterwards. Or your clothing is wet. This is a fun guessing game. LOL
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I get that if I'm dehydrated, just drink a pint of water afterwards
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    While you are running your body is working to cool you down. When you stop running you aren't warming up from the run but your body continues trying to cool you down for a bit; that is why they pass out the mylar blankets after races. I use that "OMG I'm freezing" transition to tell me it's time to change out of my running clothes into street clothes.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm usually fairly quick to get a hot shower and get changed - it's about 1-2hours later that I'm reaching for a mug of tea and a blanket! Will keep swigging the water. :drinker:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Yup. Had a very long run on Friday; the weather was warmer than it has been and I was well dressed (on the cusp of being too warmly dressed). Although I stayed warm enough on my run, I was cold the whole day afterward.

I have found that during the winter (-20C/-4F or colder) that I can't run longer than 2 hours. Too easy to get hypothermia. So I keep it to 2 hrs or less in the lower temps.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    While you are running your body is working to cool you down. When you stop running you aren't warming up from the run but your body continues trying to cool you down for a bit; that is why they pass out the mylar blankets after races. I use that "OMG I'm freezing" transition to tell me it's time to change out of my running clothes into street clothes.

This^ The first thing I do went I get back from a run is to get out of my sweaty clothes. They are designed to wick water away and cool you off, in addition to your body continuing to try to do the same thing. I put on some sweats and if I am home, I have a hot chocolate, which is a recovery drink and body warmer at the same time. A good stretch and hot shower and I am good to go. :o)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    It happens to me all the time. And my fingers turn blue (and I'm a dark person!)if I stay in the sweaty clothes for longer periods. I'll just take a hot shower directly afterwards and change into clean street clothes. I guess that's why showers are usually available at the end of races :-)