Struggling to not stuff my face

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
I had a really emotional weekend, super happy high then a super disappointing, hurtful, low and eaten all day so I'm hungry and tired but I don't want meat. I'm feeling the old pull of emotional eating and want to order a pizza family meal (there was a reason I got fat). I'm down 16 pound and been on plan 11 weeks and don't want to do this but I'm really struggling.

What do you do when you feel like this? What do you tell yourself that gets through the red food wanting haze. I know it will make me feel so bad in the long run but that instant few seconds of feeling better? indulgent? like I treated myself? I'm not sure, feels pretty strong right now.

Thanks for advice and listening!

Replies

• LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me (former binge eater) I just have to fight through it & sometimes the battle is hard and ugly. If there are non compliant food items in your house that tempt you, get rid of them if at all possible!! Skip the meat if you must, try & eat some protein of some sort, maybe some nuts, some veggies or a piece of fruit (careful with that one though, the fruit sugars could trigger a stronger desire to cheat). Last resort? Leave the temptation. Get up & walk out the door. Can't leave the house? Go take a shower. Physically separate yourself from the food. It's rough. I've been there. But you are strong! Fight it. Then fight it again.
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    Elle, thank you so much! It's not even the stuff in the house as much as I want to regress to my standby order a huge pizza meal. Someone brings it to me, it's hot, and a ton of food, and feels like a treat. I did swing by the grocery and bought 4 giant fresh super expensive scallops so that's an option if I get hungry enough. And I'm defrosting bacon. I'm pulling out the big guns.

Good advice to walk away. I might not be that strong but my desire to change is,
  • olegirlfit
    Options
    Know that YOU ARE WORTH THE STRUGGLE. For me, it always comes down to, "Am I actually worth this? Am I allowed to be the best version of myself? Will I let myself do what it takes?" Please know that you are worth every ounce of effort, that you CAN and WILL be the strongest, most healthy version of YOU and that YOU CAN DO IT.

I was battling some hard sugar cravings week 2 of my whole30, and I followed Elle's advice to get out/distract myself. I call a friend, read a book, do a fun workout dvd, pop in some headphones & listen to music, drink some water (always helps), take a hot shower, paint my fingernails, go for a walk outside....anything to recall that still, small voice that says, "Breathe Petra, you're ok. You can do it."

Sometimes I tell myself, "Just five minutes. If I still want this sugar in five minutes, I'll get some." And when those five minutes are over, I think "You did five minutes...just five minutes more, then you can splurge." Soon enough, five minutes turns to more breathing, more being thankful for those last five minutes, more quietness - and in that quietness you can hear yourself think and that strong craving seems more like a wimpy pull.

Breathe friend! You are stronger than those momentary urges, you are worth it, YOU CAN DO IT.
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    Petra you made me cry a little, thank you. All such encouraging words. It is beyond helpful to not feel alone.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to see how you are doing. We're all in this together!!
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I ate a larabar and had some wine, not the best but way better than it could have been.

It's amazing how strong that habitual pull is, I know it's not good for me and will make me feel bad later but those few moments of eating and being really full are comfort to me, or were. I hope it's were now.

Thank you guys so much, today is a new day and I feel stronger!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Quinn - glad to hear that you faced the day by making better choices than you would have liked to! :flowerforyou:

AFM...I feel as though I'm just doing everything wrong!!
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    Guam, why do you feel that? I've giving in to little things along the way, I ate popcorn last night and is was totally worth it (sprinkled with cajun spice and drizzled with truffel butter) so I haven't been perfect and totally bombed my Whole 30 because I'm not willing to give up wine yet so . . . I just haven't gone down the emotional binge path yet as I have in the past (I was close). What are you struggling with?
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I feel as though I'm making the right food choices but not eating the right portions and not exacty sure what my plate needs to be made up of. And I know I'm not getting nearly enough vegetables!