Books for May

Options
tammihart
tammihart Posts: 963 Member
May

Want to Go Private? - Sarah Darer Littman

Goodreads
Abby and Luke chat online. They've never met. But they are going to. Soon.

Abby is starting high school--it should be exciting, so why doesn't she care? Everyone tells her to "make an effort," but why can't she just be herself? Abby quickly feels like she's losing a grip on her once-happy life. The only thing she cares about anymore is talking to Luke, a guy she met online, who understands. It feels dangerous and yet good to chat with Luke--he is her secret, and she's his. Then Luke asks her to meet him, and she does. But Luke isn't who he says he is. When Abby goes missing, everyone is left to put together the pieces. If they don't, they'll never see Abby again.

The Cutting Season by Attica Locke

Goodreads
The American South in the twenty-first century. A plantation owned for generations by a rich family. So much history. And a dead body.

Just after dawn, Caren walks the grounds of Belle Vie, the historic plantation house in Louisiana that she has managed for four years. Today she sees nothing unusual, apart from some ground that has been dug up by the fence bordering the sugar can fields. Assuming an animal has been out after dark, she asks the gardener to tidy it up. Not long afterwards, he calls her to say it's something else. Something terrible. A dead body. At a distance, she missed her. The girl, the dirt and the blood. Now she has police on site, an investigation in progress, and a member of staff no one can track down. And Caren keeps uncovering things she will wish she didn't know. As she's drawn into the dead girl's story, she makes shattering discoveries about the future of Belle Vie, the secrets of its past, and sees, more clearly than ever, that Belle Vie, its beauty, is not to be trusted.

A magnificent, sweeping story of the south, The Cutting Season brings history face-to-face with modern America, where Obama is president, but some things will never change. Attica Locke once again provides an unblinking commentary on politics, race, the law, family and love, all within a thriller every bit as gripping and tragic as her first novel, Black Water Rising.

Replies

• cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Both of these are on my to read list :happy: I've heard that the first one is good. We may be reading the second one sometime this summer in my other book club. So...I'll be reading both of these titles in May.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Really want to read Want to go Private. Just didn't get around to it, 2 authors I LOVE have new books out and couldn't resist. Did anyone read either book?
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have Want to go private? checked out from library now but haven't started it yet! Will check back here when I finish it.