The Skinny on Obesity

Options
Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
I have been a member of that group for a while and learned several things.

- Don't disagree with the group owner - Joanmoniz.....She will delete your posts.
- If you disagree again she will remove you and ban you from the group
- In order to be in the group you have to understand that sugar is evil. Without scientific evidence you should believe that you need to keep sugar grams < 40
- You should create all forum topics in ALL CAPS because it increases it's effectiveness.

Basically.....this group is a crock. If you disagree with anything that is said you get removed. That is ridiculous. In response, this is a group to openly discuss any topics of nutrition.....meal timing/macro content/necessity of protein etc. All topics are open and open to be debated.....It would be good if you have some evidence to back up your claims though. No posts will be deleted and nobody will be banned for having differing opinions.

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ok. But I think the BMI chart is a crock of horse ****. And I *am* trying to keep my sucrose levels low, but fructose, lactose, and naturally occurring bread glucose are of little to no interest to me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Ok. But I think the BMI chart is a crock of horse ****. And I *am* trying to keep my sucrose levels low, but fructose, lactose, and naturally occurring bread glucose are of little to no interest to me.

Why exactly are you worried about sugar levels exactly as opposed to overall carb levels
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Not worried. Excess sucrose seems to make me hungry. I noticed on days when I didn't eat as much sugar, I didn't eat as much, period. Even accounting for the added calories OF sugar, there still an additional reduction for me when I keep that number low. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but since it's MY anecdote, that's all the evidence I really need.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had to unfriend her after a couple weeks of her propaganda on my wall. Within the first week of joining MFP, I learned to promptly ignore the 'sugar' section of my daily/weekly NI. I sometimes make fruit platters (5-6 servings) for lunch while teleworking cuz it fills me up and is extremely low sodium so I have plenty sodium left 'in the bank' for dinner/snacks. A couple of apples and a banana and I've exceeded my sugar # for the day?!! Eff that!
    I don't eat massive amounts of refined sugars, it mostly comes from fruits. That's why I never did Atkins all those years ago, cuz 1 glass of OJ (my daily b'fast) would've been ~150% my allowed daily carbs during the induction phase! Eff that times 2!

*ETA: If she knew my sucralose intake (e.g. Crystal Light that I don't log), her head would've exploded!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I just got a spam invite in my PM box to join that anti-sugar group.
    In searching for it, I found this group & have joined both.
    It's good to see that there are _some_ people who rely on science and don't believe everything they read.

I intend to refute as much BS as I can over there, simply by posting quotes from, citations & links to published scientific studies.
    I don't see how that's trolling, or how even Ms. Overcontrolling could disagree with educating people via scientific facts.