Do You Exercise When You're Sore?

tameekag
tameekag Posts: 84 Member
Do you skip workouts due to soreness or do you continue your routine?

For me, skipping workouts due to soreness gets me off track. I exercise 6 days a week - sometimes twice a day.
I am almost always sore somewhere on my body. I think the key is knowing the difference between a "good sore" versus a soreness from injury. You should not exercise when you are injured, however continuing to exercise through muscle soreness (due to a great workout) can actually help you recover faster.

Here's a quick read on the topic. What do you think?

The day after a grueling strength-training session or lengthy bike ride always leaves me deliciously sore. Yes, I admit that I love the feeling of sore muscles, but on those days, I often feel like skipping out on exercise. While days of rest are definitely necessary and a great reward for a previous day's hard work, a little soreness is no excuse to ditch the gym entirely. A light workout will actually help alleviate some of the tightness and tenderness you feel. I'm in no way encouraging you to do a 10-mile run, or 30-minute session of squats and lunges. Take it easy and go for a relaxing walk, do some stretching, or even a short jog. The light exercise will get blood pumping to your muscles, and afterward, your soreness should feel much less painful. I will say that if you wake up and are extremely sore, as in you-can't-even-walk sore, then a day or more of rest will probably be more beneficial. Source:http://www.fitsugar.com/Fit-Tip-Exercise-Even-Youre-Sore-3509531

Replies

• nicolie81587
    nicolie81587 Posts: 75 Member
    No, I definitely don't skip just because I'm sore. I might modify a workout or not do the same resistance level as usual, but I never skip. If I allow myself to start skipping then I'll keep skipping and I'll weigh a 100 pounds more than I do now, again.
  • TheFabTam
    TheFabTam Posts: 88 Member
    I was always told, "You're not sore from working out, you are sore from NOT working out." Thanks dad lol
  • okishkash
    okishkash Posts: 142 Member
    I think there is a difference between soreness and pain. As long as I am not in pain I continue with my routine. Skipping workouts gets me off track too.
  • Just make sure that soreness doesn't turn into a injury, don't push to hard when you are sore!
  • TrinaGoss
    TrinaGoss Posts: 198 Member
    If I skipped workouts when I was sore I'd only work out once a week! For me it's sometimes hard to really get going when I'm sore, even after stretching, but when I push through it I usually end up feeling LESS sore at the end of my workout.
  • chocol8e
    chocol8e Posts: 13
    I'm not going to lie I did skip workouts when I was sore, but I'm committed to 20/75 so after a killer leg centric workout yesterday I'm pushing myself tonight! I'm sure stretching will help big time because right now I'm walking around like a cowboy lol!
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Thank god I read this post!!! I was about to ditch my walk around the tidal basin because I am so sore. Instead im going to work thru it and walk anyways. Thanks!!!
  • tameekag
    tameekag Posts: 84 Member
    Thank god I read this post!!! I was about to ditch my walk around the tidal basin because I am so sore. Instead im going to work thru it and walk anyways. Thanks!!!
    Way+to+Go!.jpg