RULES/FAQ

Options
ashleyeliz25
ashleyeliz25 Posts: 141 Member
Wow, I am SO pumped that so many amazing ladies have already joined our awesome group!! I am really looking forward to support each other this May!

Here are some guidelines/answers to questions you may have about this May Challenge:

Q1: What is this May Challenge?
A: I created this group to support and motivate others to workout! This May, we will each count up the amount of calories we burned total and share with other members our results. It is a great way to support and motivate each other, especially ourselves! So if you are looking for a great group that will keep you accountable this May, join us :)

Q2: What do you have to do to be able to participate in this May Challenge?
A: It's so simple to participate in our May Challenge! Just keep record of the calories you burned during every workout, add them up at the end of the month, and post your results in this group! Towards the end of May, I will post a group discussion called "Calories Burned Totals for May 2013" and on May 31, just post the total number of calories you burned from May 1-May 31. We expect everyone to be honest :)

Q3: What workouts count for this May Challenge?
A: Many of us have decided that it would be fair to only count "sweaty workouts," such as running, swimming, biking, strength training, circuit training, pretty much any workout that you have to shower immediately afterwards.

Q4: What workouts DO NOT count for this May Challenge?
A: Calories burned from cooking, food prep, cleaning, packing, moving, walking to/from campus or the store, etc. do NOT count for this May Challenge. We believe excluding these workouts will motivate us to get sweaty at the gym/where ever you workout!

Q5: How will my calories burned be counted/recorded?
A: You will be responsible for keeping track of your calories burned during the month of May. Simply write down how many calories you burned in a log book, or just log it in your exercise diary on MFP. At the end of May, add all of your workouts together and post your results in the group discussion called "Calories Burned Totals for May 2013". I will also post discussions at the end of each week where you can record your total number of calories burned for that specific week.

Feel free to post any questions you may have!

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Question: As I want to save my knees/joints, I have decided to get out of the "obese" BMI into just "overweight" before I start the C25K running program. Until I get there, one of my workout options has been walking on my treadmill. I usually walk for at least an hour, as fast as I can go without falling off the treadmill - the speed range is between 5-6.5 kph or 3-4 mph, and have just started including an incline. The burn is between 400 and 600 calories per hour, and I do sweat (just not as much as i do when swimming or playing hockey). Does this kind of treadmill walking workout "count" for your Challenge? Let me know, thanks.
  • ashleyeliz25
    Options
    Yes! I believe that long walks are considered working out (as well as warm ups and cool downs), especially if you are burning that many calories! The kind of walks that do not count are little 10 minute walks that you do anyways in your regular routine. Pretty much any workout that you do to sweat/burn calories counts, just not little daily tasks that we are required to do daily. I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any questions!
  • ashleyeliz25
    Options
    Wow, I am SO pumped that so many amazing ladies have already joined our awesome group!! I am really looking forward to support each other this May!

Here are some guidelines/answers to questions you may have about this May Challenge:

A: I created this group to support and motivate others to workout! This May, we will each count up the amount of calories we burned total and share with other members our results. It is a great way to support and motivate each other, especially ourselves! So if you are looking for a great group that will keep you accountable this May, join us :)

A: It's so simple to participate in our May Challenge! Just keep record of the calories you burned during every workout, add them up at the end of the month, and post your results in this group! Towards the end of May, I will post a group discussion called "Calories Burned Totals for May 2013" and on May 31, just post the total number of calories you burned from May 1-May 31. We expect everyone to be honest :)

A: Many of us have decided that it would be fair to only count "sweaty workouts," such as running, swimming, biking, strength training, circuit training, pretty much any workout that you have to shower immediately afterwards. Long walks that are walks to workout and not because you had to are counted :) (i.e. walks over 30 minutes, walks for warm-up and cool down... walks to the store/work/school do NOT count...any activity done because "you had to" are not counted!)

A: Calories burned from cooking, food prep, cleaning, packing, moving, walking to/from campus or the store, etc. do NOT count for this May Challenge. We believe excluding these workouts will motivate us to get sweaty at the gym/where ever you workout! (As mentioned in the answer to Q3, long walks that are done as a workout can be counted just not walks that you are required to do daily, i.e. walks to campus/work, etc.)

A: You will be responsible for keeping track of your calories burned during the month of May. Simply write down how many calories you burned in a log book, or just log it in your exercise diary on MFP. At the end of May, add all of your workouts together and post your results in the group discussion called "Calories Burned Totals for May 2013". I will also post discussions at the end of each week where you can record your total number of calories burned for that specific week.

^^**edited/updated version of the rules/FAQ...includes information about walks that are allowed to be counted and walks that are not counted!**
  • ashleyeliz25
    Options
    RULES/FAQ (updated April 23)

A: Many of us have decided that it would be fair to only count "sweaty workouts," such as running, swimming, biking, strength training, circuit training, pretty much any workout that you have to shower immediately afterwards. Long walks that are walks to workout and not because you had to are counted :) (i.e. walks over 30 minutes, walks for warm-up and cool down... walks to the store/work/school do NOT count...any activity done because "you had to" is not counted!)

A: Calories burned from cooking, food prep, cleaning, packing, moving, walking to/from campus or the store, etc. do NOT count for this May Challenge. We believe excluding these workouts will motivate us to get sweaty at the gym/where ever you workout! (As mentioned in the answer to Q3, long walks that are done as a workout can be counted just not walks that you are required to do daily, i.e. walks to campus/work, etc.)

• ashleyeliz25
    Options
    Please be sure to read the FAQ!!! Thank you!
    RULES/FAQ (updated April 23)

A: Many of us have decided that it would be fair to only count "sweaty workouts," such as running, swimming, biking, strength training, circuit training, pretty much any workout that you have to shower immediately afterwards. Long walks that are walks to workout and not because you had to are counted :) (i.e. walks over 30 minutes, walks for warm-up and cool down... walks to the store/work/school do NOT count...any activity done because "you had to" is not counted!)

• tpwalker57
    Options
    read and saved them!!!!!! Thank you
  • ashleyeliz25
    Options
    Thank you Tammy!!

P.S. to everyone: the FAQs were updated today! (4/24) Please let me know if you have any questions!