Help!! What should I do?? NYC in Nov???

Options
dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
Hi there! I am 28 weeks pregnant and just found out that i am going to have guaranteed entry into the NYC marathon in the fall, (November 3). I am due on July 14th, and due to my "mature age" (I am 41) my dr will not let me go late, so i will defintely have the baby by then. That only leaves 14 weeks to recover and train.

Prior to pregnancy I ran 20+miles per week, and have done 2 marathons in the past. This pregnancy I stopped running around 15-16 weeks because of the pressure on my bladder. I couldnt run 5 minutes without having to stop and go to the BR. Now I am walking 4 miles per day, 5 days per week.

My concerns are, if I for some reason need to have a c section, I will have a longer recovery, and also by the time I start running, it will be a good 9 mos since I really ran. BUT, I dont want to miss out on this opportunity as it may never come around again, especially being from massachusetts and recent events, I really want to do it, and it will be good motivation to get back in shape.

Thoughts?concerns?

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one! Personally, I wouldn't, but only because I'm a crazy-avid believer in breastfeeding and my previous experience with my prior two kids is that I could NOT tolerate anything bouncy whatsoever while still breastfeeding them. That meant only very low impact exercise for me for one year postpartum. I don't necessarily think that's the norm for all breastfeeding women, and you may not be planning on breastfeeding anyway, so that could be a non-issue. Otherwise, given your running background, I think you could bounce back quickly from pregnancy. You may not be setting a PR, and you may have to actually walk some of it, but you'd still be there enjoying the experience.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't know. If it were me I'd probably pass. The physical stuff is one thing. Even if you have normal recovery that's 6 weeks with no excercise. So that means you can't start running until the beginning of September. That's 8 weeks for training, and at the beginning you'll be building up from no running in months. Not to mention the fact that you'll have a new baby around needing a bunch of stuff. How is your support system? Do you have the kind of partner that will help out for late night feedings and watch the baby so you can go for a 20 mile training run? I didn't when I had my daughter, I'm a single mom and excercise is always the first thing I have to cut.

Also how do you think you will feel if you decide now you wnt to do it and then realize later that it's too much? If you think it would be more disappointing after you put some effort in maybe it's best to just decide not to do it now.

I understand why you want to do it. I live in Boston I was at mile 23 when everything went down last monday, but it might be best if you give this one a pass. It just seems like a lot ro take on with a new baby.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'd probably pass. Like pervious posts, you need to take time to rest. If you start running too soon that can really slow down recovery and it will take longer and it could lead to more problems.

I had a friend who was pregnant a few years ago and got into the NYC marathon and she deferred it for the next year.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that you are asking this question I would say that you want to do it and are looking for others to provide support. I also assume that you know you are in because of the 3 strikes rule which is going away after this year. I would go ahead and register and see how it goes if you are willing to eat the registration fee if you end up not being up to it come November. Of course I am a Marathon Maniac and my opinion is skewed. I am also lacking a uterus so I may be way wrong but I think you can prepare in 14 weeks.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Based on the fact that you are asking this question I would say that you want to do it and are looking for others to provide support. I also assume that you know you are in because of the 3 strikes rule which is going away after this year. I would go ahead and register and see how it goes if you are willing to eat the registration fee if you end up not being up to it come November. Of course I am a Marathon Maniac and my opinion is skewed. I am also lacking a uterus so I may be way wrong but I think you can prepare in 14 weeks.

Yes! (with respect to three strikes rule that is.

I started running after my daughter was born when she was 2 weeks old, so I certainly didnt wait 6 weeks. In fact that wasnt even a thought until someone mentioned it. I ran Boston when she was 8mos old, which worked out well as far as timing. breast feeding is not an issue at all. It was more the idea of getting back into shape afterwards, and also missing out on the opportunity because as David said, the 3 strikes rule is going away,. so its now or never.....so it looks like now!!

Thank you all for the feedback!
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    Can you defer the guaranteed entry to next year? Maybe reach out to someone at NYRR and see if that's an option. OR accept and start training and then defer if you find that its to much. I had defer my full last year because I broke my foot 3 weeks before the race. The race director required a doctors note which I provided and I'm sure yours would to given the close timing to the birth. You could see how training goes, if its a c-section or not and make your decision by lets say early October.

Good luck.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!

My plan is to do my best with training and do it. I cant not do it....
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey, check out this facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/ingnycm?filter=2

Then search the page for "3 strikes rule". There is link saying that if you register and pay for this year you can then defer to 2014. It says you would have to pay again in 2014 though. So I guess that if you check that out and it's true the decision will be about whether or not you are willing to pay twice if you can't run this year.

Best of luck :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit too ambitious to me. You will not be running for at least two weeks after the baby is born, I am guessing. So, therefore you will not have been running at regular strength and speed for about seven to eight months before you start your training. And, before that, I am guessing you were not running 30 miles a week, since you said you were running 20 plus.
    So, you probably will not start training until August, which will give you three months to ramp up to some 15-20 mile runs, with, probably, at least two 8 mile runs in those weeks.
    All while you are still recovering until about September, and maybe breast feeding?
    Sounds like a recipe for injury to me.
    You should proceed with caution.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just curious is this your first baby?
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Just curious is this your first baby?

No my second. Bu t my daughter is 7. I started running after I had her after 2 weeks.
    Also not breastfeeding so that is not an issue.
  • maggiet63
    maggiet63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your baby when it comes. you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself as a runner/mother and wife.Your body needs time to heal after the birth. Get back into your running gently and slowly.You will then enjoy your running as a stress buster and less of a chore . I'm saying this as you might jump your weekly mileage too quickly and cause yourself an injury - which will put you back even more.
    Get your place deferred until next year as the other guys have suggested. look at a local run you could enter with a more realistic time scale for your training. Hope all goes well x