exercises before 5X5?

Options
beacrys
beacrys Posts: 72 Member
Hi,

Newbie here. 54, carrying an extra 25 pounds. Lost my fitness three years ago. I just read NFROLFW yesterday, joined a gym a few days ago and I am stoked. I have watched the stronglift vids and think that 5X5 is the way to go for me. I am weak and flabby in belly and upper arms.

I called a personal trainer today and he suggested I not start this program until I do 5 or 6 weeks of conditioning exercise. I was disappointed. Is he right? He seemed confused by my wish to do 5X5 at all. He's been lifting for 20 yrs.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym, did cardio for a while with some half-assed machines, then just cardio (infrequently). I did do a body weight circuit first for six weeks (I was scared to go into the free weights section of the gym). Then, I started in on SL5x5. So I guess I did something in between, but not intentionally (if that makes sense). Trainers vary widely in education and experience. I'm a little worried by people who say their trainers don't see value in a 5x5 program.

Personally, I'd try to read up, come prepared (bring NROLFW with you if you want), say you want to increase strength and then ask for very specific reasons why he recommends against a 5x5 program, what he recommends instead, and why it would be a better program for you. Take notes. Nerd out.

Come back and report. My guess is that he's not thinking it through or doesn't understand the benefits of the program. He may have a very good point, but it would be helpful to know what it is and what he's basing his decision on.
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If he's right, I'd be curious what the details and data are behind it. SLs is meant to be a beginner program, right?

FWIW, Immediately preceding SLs, I didn't do anything else. I did some cardio... and the assisted machines maybe a handful of times. Prior to that, same scenario... but further in the past. I had zero free weight strength training experience.

Edit: I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject either... So, there very well may be a great reason that I don't know about. I'm with auddii... Ask and let us know what he says.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't know if he is correct or not. But I did a round of BodyWeight (You are Your Own Gym) before starting SL5X5 (and took a little time going between YAYOG and some Deadlifts and Arm exercises at the gym.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Did he based this opinion on some kind of fitness test or not?
    Big chance he is interested in puting you on his standard 6 weeks program to avoid doing any research...

It is ok to start with something else, but not necesarry. if anything, you could start stronglifts with dumbbels or non standard bar if the bar is to heavy for you
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My gym gave me some half-assed "strength" program with no progression built in and using 10lb weights and an awful lot of core work which simply made my lower back angry (it's weak, that's why I wanted the core work).

I went back the following week, booked a personal trainer and said "I want you to show me form for squats, bench, overhead press, deadlift and barbell row. This is the program I'm going to be following, but the exercises are new to me." He swallowed his surprise, and showed me, and helped me figure out my starting weights (30lb squat & row, 20lb bench and OHP, 95lb DL) and all was good. My back has given me almost no trouble that I can't pin down to the scoliosis since, and I have done not one single "ab exercise"!

I also had zero free weights experience before starting. I did read the book Mehdi recommends several times too.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    There are many different programs out there and most trainers have their preferences. My trainer was unfamiliar with 5x5, but gave me no headache about it. Actually, I meet with her on non-SL days so that I can focus on other activities with her and do the heavy lifting on my own. 5x5 is a good start into lifting since it is a limited number of compound lifts that give you a full body workout. If you do pick up a trainer, you may want to cover form with them, but utilize their time for other conditioning that won't directly involve SL (like core work, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance...). I think trainers are great for lifting when you are trying to put together a split routine mixed with iso and compound lifts. SL is quite straight forward for a reason, it is easy to do on your own even as a beginner.

Now do you need to "pre-condition" for SL? To me that would be like saying you need to condition to work up to walking (if you are able to walk already). You have to start somewhere with lifting, so why not start with a program designed to build your strength effectively and efficiently?

Just my two cents....
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I called a personal trainer today and he suggested I not start this program until I do 5 or 6 weeks of conditioning exercise. I was disappointed. Is he right? He seemed confused by my wish to do 5X5 at all. He's been lifting for 20 yrs.

I talked to a personal trainer before I started, and he was of the opinion to start with resistance bands, graduating to dumbbells and then barbells after that.

I nodded my head a lot, wished him a great day, bought a barbell set and started lifting. Although I did start overhead presses with dumbbells because I just couldn't get the 45 lb bar up over my head. I started squats and benches at 45, deadlifts at 90 lbs and rows at 50 lbs. That's with my completely unconditioned body (not even deconditioned, because that implies that at some point I was conditioned ... not so much).

I think every trainer out there has their own philosophy, but I also think it's okay to do whatever you can realistically handle. I think resistance bands would have bored me to tears and I would have quit before ever graduating to barbells.

I also think a lot of trainers have it in their heads that women shouldn't lift heavy or that we somehow have to do all those things men don't have to do before our muscles can handle "real weights." I dunno.

I say give it a try and see where you land. If you have to, choose lighter weights, but find out what you can actually handle first before you make a decision. Barbell exercises can be adapted for dumbbells and lighter weights, but that doesn't mean you can't do squats, deadlifts, bench presses and overhead presses right away.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I'm thinking this fellow is not the guy for me. He did give me the impression that a middle-aged woman should not be lifting anything heavy. I said that everything I read says to simply lighten the weight, but to learn the proper form for these foundation lifts.

Like someone suggested, he did say he had a 6 week conditioning program that he wanted to put me through first.

I went to the gym today and a friend of my son's was there. He showed me five machines to use that would get me started on the right muscle groups for the lifts I will be doing. He said that he only uses the free weights thought. I didn't ask him to show me the lifts or how to use the equipment, but he thought it was very cool that that is what I want to do. I also sent an email off to another friend of mine who has been lifting seriously for the past three years. He might be able to show me form and how to use the equipment.

I am about to download Starting Strength.

Thx again.
  • beacrys
    Options
    < Although I did start overhead presses with dumbbells because I just couldn't get the 45 lb bar up over my head. I started squats and benches at 45, deadlifts at 90 lbs and rows at 50 lbs. That's with my completely unconditioned body (not even deconditioned, because that implies that at some point I was conditioned ... not so much).

This gives me so much hope. I'm guessing this is how I will have to start.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Now do you need to "pre-condition" for SL? To me that would be like saying you need to condition to work up to walking (if you are able to walk already). You have to start somewhere with lifting, so why not start with a program designed to build your strength effectively and efficiently?

Just my two cents....

Makes sense to me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Like someone suggested, he did say he had a 6 week conditioning program that he wanted to put me through first.

AKA he wants you to buy training sessions from him. He's just trying to make money off of you...
  • beacrys
    Options

AKA he wants you to buy training sessions from him. He's just trying to make money off of you...

I wondered that when he said it considering everything I have been reading. Bah!