Any endurance athletes?

Options
Hi everyone! I've been on keto for about 6 weeks and although I haven't lost much weight (5 lbs), I'm feeling great. I just started exercising again about 2 weeks ago, and it is going well.
Before I got off track with my diet and exercise about 4 years ago, I used to really enjoy running. I did several half marathons and one full. I would really like to get back to that level, but I wonder how keto will fit in. I'm not worried so much about having the energy to get started, but I'm thinking about an hour or so in when I used to take gels or drink gatorade to keep me going. Does anyone have experience in this area?
Thanks!

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i don't do running, but i sometimes do 2-3hour jiu jitsu training sessions. So I guess it's kind of similar.

I have found that, my endurance is actually better now, at first, it was pretty rough, b/c my body was used to using the glycogen stores in my muscles, but now I think it's getting used to using the (basically) unlimited fat as a source of fuel so I'm finding myself less drained.

That being said, in r/ketogains, a lot of them talk about carbing up before/during running, to give your muscles some glycogen anyway. With the theory that your body will use it up right away, and you won't be kicked out of ketosis.

You could probably get some go answers there.
  • KristiLynn629
    KristiLynn629 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello!

I have been doing keto for about 2 months now. Had an unexpected half marathon last month (weird I know), I went ahead and used the Gu while running. Took my last one about 45 minutes out from the end. It did not kick me out of Keto. What I have read is that you can do the carbs as long as you use the carbs. I have found this to be true with my training and the couple of long runs I have done since starting. I am not a runner. I use the JG method and do intervals.

-Kristi