Sleep Training

Options
Pepper2185
Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
My 6 month old has been a good sleeper for the most part. But the last two weeks he has been waking up and crying for us to hold him.

I've been reading all about sleep training and I'm frustrated with all of the conflicting theories and tricks and rules etc. that I'm supposed to use. And then I came across this article.

Me likey:

http://www.today.com/moms/exhausted-new-moms-hilarious-take-expert-sleep-advice-goes-viral-6C9559908

Replies

• GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    HAHA- I likey too! I've learned not to ask what everyone else does anymore cuz the advice will drive me insane! Each child is different and we are all doing the best we can. Thanks for the laugh! :drinker:
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant, funny, and a perfect summary of sleep training! Thanks for posting! I needed that laugh!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Haha! Thanks for sharing. I just forwarded this to my husband who seems forever flummoxed that I haven't figured out exactly what we should do given all of the research I do on this topic.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just read that- it is so accurate! With my first, I finally decided to follow my instincts and my daughters lead. Basically, I went against most advice. Ended up being an awesome sleeper.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    THANK you for this! I am seriously laughing out loud. I feel like im constantly going against what i should do (even with my second baby)when your gut is always right. My oldest son was the WORST sleeper,didn't think i could get any worse and then I had my daughter (who's 7 months) and shes definitely worse than he was. I think the first 6 months are the hardest....by 1 year they're finally in a better groove. :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Ha, awesome! That was great, really!

I'm with rekite. I just did what felt right and ended up with a great sleeper. I'm hoping #2 sleeps just as well!
  • Sdfarrow13
    Options
    Someone posted that link in my babycenter birth board. It made me laugh I enjoyed reading it!
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    As a FTM, sometimes I feel like I should be reading books and learning about the "right way" to do things.

But I think I've realized that there is no "right way."

And as soon as I stopped Googling sleep issues, my little guy went right back to sleeping like a champ :happy:
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha!!! Love it!!! I've done my fair share of googling but for awhile now I've just been letting the mommy instincts take control!! Funny this is funny about sleep training bc I just posted a topic that has to do with baby sleeping lol
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    With my first child I let him take the lead and it worked out great he slept from 10pm-6pm at 8 weeks old and I was able to slowly move him down to a 730pm bedtime he is 9 now and a great sleeper I never had any trouble from him. With my daughter it has been a lot slower but its getting better. No matter how many books you read or articles all babies are different its a process of elimination. Seeing what works and what doesn't.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    With my first child I let him take the lead and it worked out great he slept from 10pm-6pm at 8 weeks old and I was able to slowly move him down to a 730pm bedtime he is 9 now and a great sleeper I never had any trouble from him. With my daughter it has been a lot slower but its getting better. No matter how many books you read or articles all babies are different its a process of elimination. Seeing what works and what doesn't.

Yup, and every kid is different, so when you think you have it down, you find out that you don't! My son was such a good sleeper (at least after the first two or three weeks, during which it seems like he NEVER slept) that I know I'm in for it with this baby... My husband warned me about double-dipping at the well...
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good :) I never really tried sleep training. Luckily Miles just kind of fell into a nighttime sleep. he has always been an irregular napper, but who cares. My schedule is erratic too. I personally HATE schedules, that's why I can't stand a regular 9-5 job, so I don't expect him to be on a set schedule either. Thanks for sharing!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good :) I never really tried sleep training. Luckily Miles just kind of fell into a nighttime sleep. he has always been an irregular napper, but who cares. My schedule is erratic too. I personally HATE schedules, that's why I can't stand a regular 9-5 job, so I don't expect him to be on a set schedule either. Thanks for sharing!

Jaxon was/is a great nighttime sleeper, he has a 9 o'clock bedtime and is out within 15-20 min before or after 9. But he's also been an irregular napper. Usually he takes 3-4 30 minute naps but lately he's been taking 3 and one of them an hour long so no complaints here lol

He's also always been an irregular eater..he's always been a snacker unless it's the middle of the night. Like Rebecca said, just when you think you have it down they change things up on ya ;)
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just read that article last night in my app WTE (first year) funny funny!
    Now I try to follow baby clues when she's sleepy ... She's a horrible napper :/.. Usually 2 naps of no more of 45 minutes.
    She's sleeping now from 8-6:30 with a feeding at 3-4 am ...
    Can't complain since we are in Mexico now and she's been sleeping at the same time all week :)
  • JenniferAntolik
    Options
    I did sleep training with both of my kids, once they were old enough and big enough I let them "cry it out" but I find my son wakes up at night when he is teething. . . both of my older kids (2.5 and 12 months) wake up when they are getting sick as well. . . I love all the conflicting messages about sleep training- I have a 5 week old and the pediatrician we saw for his 2 week check up told me to start it NOW. NO thanks, I think when they are THIS young they are usually crying for a reason!
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    THIS. This is exactly why the pressure of being a first-time mother is so hard.
  • RBXChas
    Options

Totally. You can never win. You just have to do what suits you and your family best and stick with it - no apologies!
  • Pepper2185
    Options

It's tough because there is so much conflicting advice, and at first I didn't have the confidence to say "this is what we're doing, bite me!"

I think I'm getting there, though!
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ha, thanks for that! With our first we didn't sleep train.... now at age FIVE (yes, five) he STILL wakes frequently at night and is constantly wanting to sleep in our bed. It's a wonder he ever got a sibling.....

With the baby who is nine months, we hired a sleep consultant because I cannot do another five years of this! He sometimes still wakes for a feeding, but normally goes to bed at 6:30 and sleeps right through until 6:30 the next morning, with no tears or fussiness at all. He sometimes fusses for a few minutes but has never really cried.... had I known that sleep training didn't have to mean hours of crying I would have done it the first time as well!

Also re: first time mother- it is so hard to be a first time mom! Adding a second has challenges too, but for me, I got a lot more comfortable telling people to mind their own business this time, and following my gut.