Additional Deadlifts...Ok or no way?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
How bad would it be if I find I can do more then 5 deadlifts to do more then the usual 5 the SL program calls for?

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I do it. Mainly because I don't increase my weight every workout, so my progression in that regard is much slower than it was when I was in my first cycle. The first workout that I increase weight I do 1x5 and then usually the second workout 1x6 and if I am staying at that weight for another workout I have done 2x5. I have recovered fine don't have a problem. It's generally not recommended because it's hard on your CNS.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's not too problematic (my first time I did three sets). The "actual" program has you increasing in weight 10lbs every time you do deads. I ran out of extra strength pretty fast. Now I have to take a rest just to rerack the bar on the squat rack to unload the bar.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I don't do that, I just plug along adding 5 each time and feel grateful if it feels light LOL. I know that I will hit a weight that I can't do soon enough. Or, if I can keep adding weight for a long time, that is great too! But being stuck at a weight, having to deload -- I don't like that feeling as much as I do doing the set and being able to add weight next time.

I don't think it's *bad* to do more, though.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Aside from my warm up sets, I stick to 1x5. My legs are shot from squats anyway. Just listen to your body.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    As you get heavier, then the one set does quite nicely...you will see what we mean when you reach that point.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do it. Mainly because I don't increase my weight every workout
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    As you get heavier, then the one set does quite nicely...you will see what we mean when you reach that point.

^This^!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

^This^!!
    [/quote

I will be so happy when I get to this point! xidia I can't remember your numbers but I know the nex pulls some serious effing weight! I wouldn't want to to do more than 1x5 at that point either!!!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm on body weight or just below depending on the day (125-134lbs). I do 5 in a row with a couple of seconds gap every other rep to switch my mixed grip over (so I do 2 with one hand facing me, 2 with the other, 1 with the first) and I breathe every rep. I am SO GLAD when I've done that last effing rep!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Agreed^^^ I'm DLing more than my body weight now and you will see when you get to that point you are so happy when your 1x5 is OVER.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Agreed^^^ I'm DLing more than my body weight now and you will see when you get to that point you are so happy when your 1x5 is OVER.

Agree! :explode:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ooh xidia I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to think about mixed grip and never even thought you could swap the hands around! anyone have any tips / suggestions on how to go about it? :)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ooh xidia I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to think about mixed grip and never even thought you could swap the hands around! anyone have any tips / suggestions on how to go about it? :)

I just got to this point, and I just take a second at the end of each rep to readjust my feet and switch my hands. Ends up only being a 10-15 second break overall, which I kinda need at the higher weights.