Trouble with overhead press

Options
hey all,

I'm in week one of Stronglifts, and last night I did my first B Workout which includes overhead presses. I could not get that 45 pound bar over my head to SAVE MY LIFE. I ended up doing dumbbell presses using 15 lbs weights instead... even the 20's I couldn't do.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That was me...I Started with 30 lbs preloaded barbell....And only now am at the 45 lbs oly bar....Trust me you will get there and beyond..
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I started with the 30lb preloaded barbell as well. I am just starting my 7th week, and I can now do 50lbs (barely), but it is slow going. this is normal for a female.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I started the OHP with two 10-lb dumbbells because I had not much upper body strength to speak of.

You start where you start. Don't worry about it. As long as you make progress, that's what matters.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    How light do those fitted barbells get?
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How light do those fitted barbells get?

The lowest one in my gym is 10kg
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use an older bar, it is 20#. I could only get 30# up for my first B session, yesterday.
    And I go up on tippy toe. I don't think about it, it just happened. Weird.maybe 30 was too heavy?
  • PrettyGirlsOnFire
    PrettyGirlsOnFire Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I use an older bar, it is 20#. I could only get 30# up for my first B session, yesterday.
    And I go up on tippy toe. I don't think about it, it just happened. Weird.maybe 30 was too heavy?

Make sure you don't go up on your toes with the overhead press. Keep your feet firmly planted, for support and balance. With heavier weights, the last thing you want is lose your balance, so insist on correct form right from the start. Go with a lower weight if you need to.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Make sure you don't go up on your toes with the overhead press. Keep your feet firmly planted, for support and balance. With heavier weights, the last thing you want is lose your balance, so insist on correct form right from the start. Go with a lower weight if you need to.

I'm working on it. if I can't do the 30# next time without the tip toes, I'll go down in weight.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    OHP is always the slowest to progress(for me anyway). I started in January with 45lbs and I'm at 70 now and absolutely cannot do anymore and 3x4 with 70lbs. I've deloaded 235902839502 times and still no progress. Its annoying, but keep progressing with the weights you are at now and you WILL be able to get that bar over your head!