Leaving WoW Again

Options
Slimithy
Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
I'm not a WoW hater. I'm not an MoP hater. In fact I love the game. I think the current expansion is one of the greatest products they've ever put out. In fact, there is so much to do and play at endgame that I am again finding myself playing way too much. I realized the other day that I am way to immersed in the game and I again need to take some time away. To those who are continuing to play I wish you well. In a few months I may come back to it again with a different perspective and/or more control/time managment.

'Till then, this is Whrathgar
/log off

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Well to each his own I guess. I know that if I just gave up everything I enjoyed instead of learning how to manage my time and regulate myself then I would have ended up giving up everything. I don't see anything wrong with being able to enjoy something to its fullest. In fact I think that is the only way to really live life. I know it is easier to just give something up than it is to take on the much harder task of learning self control but it is also easier to kill a patient then it is to learn how to cure them.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well to each his own I guess. I know that if I just gave up everything I enjoyed instead of learning how to manage my time and regulate myself then I would have ended up giving up everything. I don't see anything wrong with being able to enjoy something to its fullest. In fact I think that is the only way to really live life. I know it is easier to just give something up than it is to take on the much harder task of learning self control but it is also easier to kill a patient then it is to learn how to cure them.

I'm in no way giving up "everything I enjoyed", there's lots of stuff I enjoy outside of WoW, including other games. The fact is I find it easier to play 15-30 mins of Halo and then turn it off compared to 15-30 mins of WoW (I mean really, who plays WoW for 15 mins at a time?). The structure of an MMO lends itself ot a particular type of gameplay, and for me a very addicting and time-consuming type of gameplay. For example, one of the things I enjoy most in WoW is Goldmaking. This requires the playing of the AH, leveling alts and alt professions, canceling and reposting auctions, some farming, etc... This means to truely be a big player in Goldmaking on a server you play a lot, you check in on the mobile app a lot, there's always another alt to level, etc... Any night I am not playing or reposting I am losing Gold that I coul be making.I just need to step away.

Also, I'm looking at this as return on investment (ROI). If I don't have time to play hours of WoW each week (and I don't). Then does it make sense to pay $15/month for it. When I am paying $3/month for Xbox Live which allows me to play other games in a community setting that are far easier to take a break from and lend them selves to smaller doses than an MMO?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i understand ya, i ended up quitting august of 2011 because i realized i was letting my real life friendships and hobbies decay. sure, i was up to date on patch notes, new builds, but i hadn't cultivated the nourishing emotional relationships in my life.

i miss it, 100%, and will start playing again maybe this year or next, but i also couldn't justify the cost benefit ratio.

meanwhile, i took the time off to get healthy, and find myself loving exercise, cooking etc. also finally had the time to play some PC/ps2 games since raids weren't sucking up all my evening time. (bioshock! the witcher! god of war 2!)

my guildies will still be there when i get back, hell they've been on the same server with the same guild master since BC.

i still creep wow insider :P
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I did say to each his own. If you want to quit playing wow then quit. I certainly didn't lose any sleep over this announcement. I also did not say that you were giving up everything you enjoyed neither did I imply that WoW was the only thing you enjoyed. I was simply trying to illuminate the potential hazards involved with employing hyperbolic solutions.

You stated that you love playing WoW but you are giving it up because it was taking up too much of your time. I was simply saying the actually issue you need to be addressing is the time management. If WoW is only enjoyable to you when you dump all your time in to it then perhaps quitting is the best option for you. I personally enjoy logging on knocking out a heroic and calling it a day. If you could enjoy wow playing it the way that I do then perhaps you could still enjoy it without having it impact your life. Either way all I am doing is trying to help you look at the issue from all sides and not simply the most obvious side. The final choice is always yours just as my choices are mine.

I can totally understand wanting to save some money as well. I have turned my WoW account on and off tons of times. It's a great game but if the math says I can improve my quality of life by eliminating a bill a few months sooner if I would shut down wow tomorrow I would do it.

You mentioned yourself that you might come back one day with more time control/management so that right there implies that you can learn to control yourself. So why not just do that? I won't stand in judgement over you either way but that doesn't mean I can't tell you another way of looking at things. Since you made this announcement to a bunch of gamers on an internet forum I thought that you might actually want to hear from multiple different points of view. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps you did it for no reason whatsoever or perhaps you just wanted a bunch of people praise you. I can't say, only you know why you do what you do.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not a WoW hater. I'm not an MoP hater. In fact I love the game. I think the current expansion is one of the greatest products they've ever put out. In fact, there is so much to do and play at endgame that I am again finding myself playing way too much. I realized the other day that I am way to immersed in the game and I again need to take some time away. To those who are continuing to play I wish you well. In a few months I may come back to it again with a different perspective and/or more control/time managment.

'Till then, this is Whrathgar
    /log off

id say id miss you but now that your gone, i can play the AH again myself on Exodar :)

seriously, its ok to take a break, refocus and then come back. ive had to a couple times over the almost 7 years ive played and its always helped. Hope to see you again soon!
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just imagine you're leveling up irl, then it's like you never left WoW!

That's how I try to get over leaving the game for now... ;_;
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    no one truly quits wow, they just take breaks
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I used to play WoW ALOTTTTT, but after MoP and I started getting into fitness and losing weight my interest in it waned. Then we got an Xbox360 with Kinect in Feb and bought some fitness games, and i lost ALL interest in WoW. It made no sense to sit on my butt playing that game when I could burn calories and play Xbox lol. Not to mention every time my fiance asked me to log on I was always like "BUTTTTT do i HAVE to?????" and i felt like it was just flushing money down the toilet. And I don't miss it, I have the Xbox, and Final Fantasy beta, and other free PC games. I don't dislike WoW and enjoyed it, idk maybe I just outgrew it lol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I've gone over to mainly single player games for now. It seems easier to limit gaming time. With MMOs, I'm always trying to finish something off - with single player games, you can usually just save and exit and do it later. I'm trying to avoid sitting for long periods, and MMOs don't help to avoid that!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

This is why I've never started. I know I'd love it and I can't have game sessions lasting into the early morning hours and affecting my clarity at work the next day. And I know that this would happen.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel. My subscription ran out the 25 of last month. This is the first time since 1999 that I haven't been subscribe to a Mmorp. I stopped playing for awhile last year when I started exercising but got back into it with Mop. In that time I picked all my old bad habits and put on 30 pounds.
    It's great some people can limit their play time. But for me once I start I end up putting 6 to 8 hours a day during the week and most all of the weekend. I guess I'm just lucky my addiction was online game and not meth or something 8-)
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    well you know the bright side to meth addictions, you wont gain 30 lbs on them :noway:
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Haha very true. But I like having my own teeth to much...
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I haven't played in nearly a year, I still call it a break.
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I used to play WoW every night after work into the wee hours of the morning back in Vanilla MC and BWL days. However, now that my rl interests have changed with working out and what not I just play WoW now on my own time. I only log on if my workouts are done, the house is clean and I have nothing else better to do.

If you decide to quit that's a good way to do other things and control your time. I took a year break and just recently started up with MoP again. I like to do a quick raid here and there and then I am done for the day/night.

I think if you can say I am done and I am only doing this today for a couple of hours it's easy to log out and get some real life stuff done. I don't let the game control what I decide to do with my day anymore. That's how I gained all the weight...eating, sitting in that chair, playing for all hours of the day.