4 month wakeful

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
As some of you know, Jaxon was a terrific sleeper sleeping 8-11 hour stretches by around the 2 month mark..well he's about 4 1/2 months now and for probably the last 3 weeks he's been waking up 2-3 times a night or every 3-6 hours. I thought at first he wasn't staying as satisfied since he's getting bigger and that may be part of it but he hasn't been eating a lot more than usual. I was pretty stumped on why he's been waking up like he has but I remember some of you mommies talking about the 4 month wakeful period and it fits the bill! He doesn't want to eat much during the day, he wants to see what's going on in the world around him so he wakes up at night to make up fforwhat he didn't eat during the day. Ahhh! Those of you with LO's who has done this, how long does it last usually? I got spoiled by his long stretches!

Replies

• LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Does he get cereal in his bedtime bottle? This may help tremendously!!! Good luck, I really didn't have problems with my LO cause she wasn't a big eater.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Joshua didn't go through this at 4 months but he went through it around 12 months old and it lasted 2 months. Now he's 21 months and we're going through it again...

So far Jayce (4 months) isn't going through it yet. Crossing my fingers!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Does he get cereal in his bedtime bottle? This may help tremendously!!! Good luck, I really didn't have problems with my LO cause she wasn't a big eater.

That's the funny thing, we spoon feed him cereal and baby food right before bed but he still wakes up 3-4 hours later lol
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Joshua didn't go through this at 4 months but he went through it around 12 months old and it lasted 2 months. Now he's 21 months and we're going through it again...

So far Jayce (4 months) isn't going through it yet. Crossing my fingers!

I hope Jayce doesn't either!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Max went through the 4 month wakeful period. It lasted about 2-3 weeks and he typically woke up 2x per night (and stayed up for about an hour).

After it was finished, he slept through the night until about 6 months. He started sleeping crappy again when we introduced solids (and he got some teeth).

It will pass! Like you said, Jaxon's probably making up for what he doesn't eat during the day.

You will be spoiled with more sleep eventually :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I would think the feeding solids/cereal before bed would be less filling - I would think formula and/or breastmilk would keep him fuller, longer. I never did solids at night, only midday, because it always seemed like my son wanted to eat again sooner than after any other feeding. I could be wrong, though - just throwing that out there!

It could also be the beginnings of teething. My son was late in getting teeth, but some babies do start that early (4 months), or at least they start descending that early and appear around 5-6 months. That could be bugging him, in which case, there's not much you can do, sorry :frown:

Hopefully it's just a quick phase/growth spurt, and he'll be sleeping normally again soon! What I learned is that for the first year or year and a half, a good night's sleep isn't guaranteed. My son is over 2 and very, very rarely needs anything in the middle of the night (last time it happened he had the stomach bug), so any loss of sleep is caused by something else.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Thanks Laura and Rebecca for your replies!! I've been giving him cereal/baby food a couple times a day bc he hasn't been wanting a bottle. Last night about an hour before I put him down I gave him baby food with cereal and right before bed he downed 6oz of formula and slept a 9 hour stretch!! He has been teething but usually he shows signs of pulling on his gums and drooling but he hasn't been doing that much lately. Babies are so unpredictable lol I'm trying to learn to just go with the flow :)