Maternity bathing suit?

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Anyone have recommendations?
So far I have ordered and returned 2.. :-/
Quality, coverage, support, price and cute seem like a tough combo to find!

Replies

• TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this too, especially because I'm (ha ha, WAS) a competitive swimmer. I needed something for laps. They do sell maternity suits suitable for lap swimming at swimoutlet.com. I ended up going to the rack with last year's styles at TJMaxx and buying the largest size they had (18?) for $16. It's not ideal, but I'm still doing laps at 38 weeks in it!

I realize this probably doesn't help your inquiry, since racing suits aren't cute, and at 38 weeks, the chest coverage isn't that great because the belly bulge pulls the material down a little too far for my taste. But for $16 I'm working it!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For coverage I always wear a sports bra under and it holds better then most swimsuits. Depends what you are looking for in a suit, you can purchase from maternity stores cost more or target (if your in the US has been suggested), I've bought from Wal-mart previous pregnancies or look for second hand, kijiji or craigs list..... I know on my kijiji there are people selling maternity clothes all the time.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I won't be pregnant for much longer, so thankfully I haven't needed a swimsuit. I went to the Caribbean during my last pregnancy, though, so I ordered one or two maternity tops and bottoms from Target (I think they were different brands, too - I think the bottoms were Liz Lange and the tops were something else, like Merona), and I bought a very big tankini top at JCPenney for something like $10. They worked fine, but I was only about 5 months along at that point. The next summer I was able to swing them while I was losing weight - the maternity tops were clearly funky for me, but the regular, bigger tankini top was ok, and the maternity bottoms were really just big bottoms :wink:

I don't know how much support you need, but if you need a lot, I second the sports bra idea, and I will say that a lot of times you can get away with just buying a bigger suit. Like TheLaser said, one pieces can start to pull when you have a belly, meaning you are showing a lot of cleavage, but you should do fine if you go for larger (non-maternity) tankinis. Most of the time the maternity ones aren't flattering and/or are overpriced.
  • SCSmalley
    SCSmalley Posts: 18
    Options
    I was pregnant last summer, and I got my suit from Motherhood. It was a two-piece tankini. Summer lasted from my 4th - 6th month, the suit was slightly big on me - it was a medium, but a small would have been WAY too small. It's still in great condition, and I plan on using it again this summer now that I have a second little one on the way. I'll probably get a second suit from the same place as well. It was a little on the expensive side, but when you plan on being in water for most of the summer, it's not that bad.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I found I could use my non maternity bathing suit until about 30 weeks (I wear hipster style bikinis). I did buy a backup at target which worked fine;
    http://www.target.com/p/women-s-maternity-twist-hipster-swim-bottom-black/-/A-14205281
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So I ended up buying this today at the mall
    http://www.motherhood.com/mobile/Product.asp?Product_Id=944510080&MasterCategory_Id=MC9
    I thought it would be matronly (haha) but it actually looked cute on and didn't break the bank.
    It's not a halter like it says- I found that a lot of the halter styles are not at all supportive (and no I'm not that big! 32-34 C or D)
    And now I can hit the pool! :)
  • Chapnau
    Chapnau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cute suit!

I wore a regular, underwire tankini one size up from my pre-preg weight and just folded up the torso tank material as I got bigger, so there was kind of a big band just below my bust line and the belly skin was exposed. I was 7-8 months pregnant in the summer, so I figured I'd just be out & proud, so to speak!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Cute! Glad you found one!