Garmin cadence sensor behaving oddly

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi all

I fitted a GSC10 cadence sensor on my bike a few weeks ago, to integrate with the Garmin Edge 800. All was working fine, but this morning it kept auto pausing and auto resuming every few seconds, so I disabled the auto pause. Then I noticed after 2 miles it was only showing I had gone 0.33 miles, I had assumed it got distance from GPS - so I then disabled the cadence sensor and then all was fine.

Has anyone come across this before? Do I need to re-calibrate it or something - do I use that reset button on the main GSC10 unit ?

Any help or advice much appreciated

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is it a battery issue Fran'?

Perhaps replace the battery in the sensor?
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hmm must be the week for it Fran!

My GSC10 died last weekend and I don't seem to be able to revive it! I've changed the battery and still nada! Might get some time to look at it this weekend though and hopefully I'll be able to bring it back to life!

Try changing the battery, maybe if the 800 can't pick up a decent signal from the GSC10, things start going screwy! I can't really be much more help than that I'm afraid Fran! I hope you get it working soon.

Chris
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've only had it a month - I won't be very impressed if it is the battery!! I'll put it on the workstand over the weekend and try re-calibrating all the sensors etc, I think I have a spare coin battery for it so will do that as a last resort.

Cheers :)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    first thing to check is if the magnet on the wheel is in the correct place - sometimes you can move it a tiny amount (or it'll twist slightly, or the pickup on the actual sender can move if knocked). If the sensor is only picking up a pulse every second/third or fewer rotation of the wheel, but the GPS says you've travelled a much greater distance, it'll throw things into a pause mode. After that, hang the bike up (or put it in a workstand if you have one) so that you can pedal and the wheels rotate, hold the head next to the cadence sensor, and see if the problem improves - this tends to point to the battery being a little duff in the GSC10. Its not unheard of if the sensor is "old stock" for the battery needing replacing within a couple of weeks of riding - I know the one I bought for my Dolan went that way.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've only had it a month

As TBY said, you may have only had it a month, but you don't know how long the thing has been sat on a shelf in a shop or warehouse for...

Check for obvious stuff, replace the battery with a new one and you should be 'cooking on gas' :wink: