Just sampling the buffet

Options
BeinAwesome247
BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
I'm way out of practice when it comes to dating for starters

Last month a met this guy who isn't really my physical type, but attractive and more importantly great to be around.
We've been seeing each other I guess but there has been no talk of being exclusive or anything like that.
I don't refer to him as my boyfriend or anything - just the guy I'm talking to.

Co-worker comes to me this morning and starts telling me about this guy he has become friends with from one of his classes. Giving me a little back story on the guy. I realized when my friend got a funny smirk on his face that something was coming hahaha
So he wants me to meet this guy - just to see how it'd go. Casual hang out

My question is, what is the proper etiquette? haha
I wouldn't be doing anything wrong right?

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I'm way out of practice when it comes to dating for starters

Last month a met this guy who isn't really my physical type, but attractive and more importantly great to be around.
    We've been seeing each other I guess but there has been no talk of being exclusive or anything like that.
    I don't refer to him as my boyfriend or anything - just the guy I'm talking to.

Co-worker comes to me this morning and starts telling me about this guy he has become friends with from one of his classes. Giving me a little back story on the guy. I realized when my friend got a funny smirk on his face that something was coming hahaha
    So he wants me to meet this guy - just to see how it'd go. Casual hang out

My question is, what is the proper etiquette? haha
    I wouldn't be doing anything wrong right?

You aren't exclusive so it is up to you and how you feel about dating mulitple people at one time. Some people expect you to be dating others casually in the begining stages. There is nothing wrong with meeting the other guy.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    Been a long time since I have dated more than one person at once.

My two closest friends have reservations about the guy I've been seeing and I see their point and have the same reservation

Can't hurt to at least meet the other guy though
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Though I totally agree with MM, if you really really like this guy you've been hanging out with already, you may want to have the "what are we" talk. You could explain that a friend wants you to meet a friend, but you don't want to jeopardize anything that might be happening between the two of you. This shows him two things #1 - that you are desirable to other men and have options and #2 - that you are a geniune woman who respects him enough to talk about it.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    Yea, I've been avoiding that talk haha
    I see your point though
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Yea, I've been avoiding that talk haha
    I see your point though

It's kind of a big red flag that you've been avoiding that talk. To me that would mean I'm not going to have it and will find someone else while enjoying this short term fling.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you haven't talked about being exclusive, you aren't exclusive - so go for it!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would meet guy #2 and decide if you even like him first. If you don't, it's a complete non-issue.

You don't owe the new guy anything since you aren't exclusive, and I'm assuming you don't intend to meet guy #2 and immediately have sex with him. I never bring up the "what are we" conversation. I leave that to the man. Until he brings up exclusivity, I consider myself free to date others.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I generally tell people that I'm currently seeing someone and I'm going to see how it works out. If you don't really like this guy and are just waiting around for the next best thing then just let him go. If you do like him then give things a chance to work out.

In my opinion a month is enough time to tell if you two are compatible, but not enough time to develop an exclusive relationship. You technically wouldn't be doing anything wrong, but if I was seeing someone for a month and found out they had a friend fix them up with someone else I'd just assume they didn't like me.

Or he could be seeing someone else, or if you talked to him it could lead to the exclusive talk. Your call.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Though I totally agree with MM, if you really really like this guy you've been hanging out with already, you may want to have the "what are we" talk. You could explain that a friend wants you to meet a friend, but you don't want to jeopardize anything that might be happening between the two of you. This shows him two things #1 - that you are desirable to other men and have options and #2 - that you are a geniune woman who respects him enough to talk about it.

This
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I think you go on the date with guy #2, don't say a word about it to guy #1, and go from there. Worst case would be to piss off Guy #1 and guy #2 turns out to be a bust.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree that after a month I'd know if I wanted to be with the guy I'm seeing. Actually, that would happen after 2 dates. Seems to me like you dont really like him much??. So why continue seeing him?? What are you going to do if you like the second guy to the same wishy washy level?? :huh:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I agree that after a month I'd know if I wanted to be with the guy I'm seeing. Actually, that would happen after 2 dates. Seems to me like you dont really like him much??. So why continue seeing him?? What are you going to do if you like the second guy to the same wishy washy level?? :huh:
    I would know after a month as well if I wanted to continue... and I agree... you either don't like him much or there isn't a true connection or ??
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    If you haven't talked about being exclusive, you aren't exclusive - so go for it!

^^ agree 100%
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1 MONTH is not long enough to even think about being exclusive yet unless it bothers you to be sexually active with someone who may be sleeping with other people- like if, for you - sex without exclusivity is a deal-breaker.

Most people, when they start dating someone, still have physical or emotional connections or options with other people until they decide to cut all those strings and just be with one or two of you.

Yall barely know each other at all, much less enough to say - Ok stop looking at other options - Im who you're with now -stomps foot. I usually wait like nine months before Im like - Ok mister, what's happening here - we should have an honest conversation.

But Im also not in a redbull rush to get married. Im a big believer in enjoying every part of dating, the beginning and every middle. I also like to move slow. I dont even really start opening up about myself with someone til it's been about six months.

but I agree with everyone else, you're not exclusive til he says so. or yall say so. When he says you're MY girl, that's it. That means don't sleep with other boys no more.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Im a former multi dater (I am exclusive now), and I enjoyed it very much. As long as there's no talk, date around!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The grass is always greener and so forth.
  • yoovie
    Options

The grass is always greener where you choose to water it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

No amount of water will help if the seed was bad to begin with.
  • yoovie
    Options

No amount of water will help if the seed was bad to begin with.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!! I stand corrected and happy for it!