Question

Options
fuzzball01
fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
Am I able to post questions on any type of running questions? if so, I do have a questions. Thanks

Glad to be part of this group

Replies

• fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So.... I think so.. lol! What is your question?
  • fuzzball01
    Options
    For some reason im finding it much easier to give up then pushing myself. Last year at this time I had at least 5 or 6 5k's under my belt. This year I have 1. Im so ashamed that I cannot motivate myself to do this or push myself. I want to push myself to be a 10k runner but I just can't do it.

My mind set is a bet messed up. Any suggestions??
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Maybe register for an upcoming race so you have a commitment to shoot for
  • fuzzball01
    Options
    I did a 5k (color vibe) last Saturday and had too walk for about 5 min. I did take into consideration that that were like 10k people there and we were running at a fairground (uneven turf - lrg rocks). Had to be careful not to tweak my ankle. Im afraid to register for a run, I don't want to ley myself down again.

Running is everything to me. Helps me deal w everything going on in my life. Running was put on hold when my momma was very sick (quit running like for like 4-6 mths). Seems like when my momma passed away 11 mths ago, the struggles began. I cant even do 45 min on a treadmill
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I put in for the Amsterdam Marathon in October last week for this exact reason, I'm doing ok but needed that extra push. I've only done 2 half marathons and they were last month, so to step up to a marathon will be difficult but means I need to get the training rocking and rolling oh and I have another half in September.

Push push push
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway addresses this in his books. He talks about the left side of your brain giving you logical reasons why you should quit or turn around, then give "tricks" to engage the right side of your brain to turn off those messages. There were various things he suggests.... mantras, distractions, etc. And its a good idea to think of the good benefits of your running several times a day, not just when you are running.

He also advocates a run/walk ratio and lists the advantages of that as well. I have run with and without run breaks. My pace is only slightly slower with the walk breaks. So I really encourage it. Plus, it helps you keep going longer distances. If you only have to run "two more minutes" it seems easier than however many more miles.

Either way, have fun! Keep on running.... these ups and downs are just a part of it.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm really sorry for your loss. And I do agree with others here: SIGN UP FOR A RACE! How do you know you're gonna let yourself down again if you don't even try? Come on! Sign up for a 5K, download a training plan and follow it! Remember: Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up! You can do this! And I don't know if this is even an option for you but joining a running team helped me a lot! You'll meet people, your running will improve considerably and they'll make sure you're not gonna give up! Best of luck!
  • fuzzball01
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I am afraid to sign up for a race. I have read some posts on other site and first time 5k runners put my time to shame. I am struggling so bad right now. I need support and my husband somewhat supports me. I get all nervous thinking about signing up for a race. I know I am letting myself down

I was hoping to do a 10K this summer but that doesn't look like its going to happen and my major goal is to run a half marathon. Doubt that will happen. I run by myself so I its easily to get distracted
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Over the last year I was motivated and ran 6 races (2 fulls and 4 halves). I now have a half this weekend and another one two weeks after that and cant seem to find the motivation to go out and run. Its going to be a tough race. So, I know were you are coming from. I am also looking for some motivation to continue.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I thought back to this issue when I got my latest Runner's World. Check out this month's edition, it has an article called "Beyond the Mantra" and it gets into a bunch of stuff related to this.

Good Luck!
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe register for an upcoming race so you have a commitment to shoot for

This definitely right. I have thought many times about giving up for my half, but the fact I am signed up for two this summer will keep me going. Not only to get to the first, but to have to train for 8 more weeks til the 2nd.