What's your pre-race routine?

Options
cococa
cococa Posts: 122 Member
I just ran my third half marathon this past weekend, and I noticed that I have a pretty solid routine before every race now.

The week before I typically refrain from drinking alcohol and make sure I take my allergy medication flawlessly. I eat a big pasta dinner and shower the night before. I also try to get to bed early. When I wake up, I have a small cup of coffee and an oatmeal, then I get dressed, take 2 antacid tablets, and pack a bag. Before I leave, I go over everything with my boyfriend to make sure I have everything I need: IPod Nano, armband, headphones, headband that covers my ears, inhaler, handheld water bottle, visor, bib number, and safety pins.

Do you have a routine? If so, what is it?

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Gosh, my races have all been so different - some I've stayed in a hotel, some I've driven to the race that morning, and I biked to the start of another! If I'm in a hotel, I have to do a bit more planning - packing begins earlier, and I have to make some accommodations for a decent pre-race breakfast (which for me could be something like a half PB&J, a half bagel w/hummus or cereal w/soy milk). I try to eat something "normal" and not too spicy for dinner the night before, I try to get a good night's sleep and the main thing that never fails before any race is that I wake up EARLY. I want time to digest my food a bit, time to make sure I go to the bathroom, time to get to the race start with zero stress, etc. Since I normally am up around 4 am to run most mornings, waking up early for a race is really no problem.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole routine yet but I have learned some do's and don'ts. I have to avoid high fiber foods day before race and I generally eat a moderate to light meal the night before. For some reason, a large meal the night before will make me sick on race day. I lay everything out the night before. I eat my normal breakfast early that morning (try to get it in 3-4 hours before the race is set to start). Then I pack everything up and check it 3,4,5 and maybe 6 times. :) I generally get to the race way to early and wander around for a while making myself nervous. Then run when the gun goes off.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The night before big races I will lay out "flat Dave": shirt (with bib pinned on), compression shorts, shorts, socks, shoes, hat, Garmin, gels. If I am doing a drop-bag I will have that packed as well.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    For halves, I tend to try and eat close to or over my cals for the week. Also, for every race, I eat a bagel. I also wear the same outfit for every race I run featured in the profile pic :-). When this one gets old, then I'll get a new uniform :-D