Nutrition and Results

Options
KimPratt222
KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
I love talking food, so does anyone else want to share their diets with me while they are doing the Stronglifts program? Who has seen awesome results from this program? Has it gotten you leaner, stronger, or both? I'm only one week 2, so I can't comment on it too much just yet!

My diet....I eat really clean...no processed foods and very, very little sugar. I follow most of the basic principles of the "Figther Diet" but I do not follow it 100%. I get my carbs from veggies and oats. That's it. And I do a refeed day every 6th day of the week.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I am on the 9th week of my second cycle of SL....so I guess that means 21 weeks in and I'm currently aiming between 1800-2000 trying to manage eating at a deficit while progressing on lifts. I go for 100-130g of protein/day (tried more....closer to 150g/day and my body did not care for that at all). I don't pay much attention to my fat and carbs macros at this point to be honest.

Leaner, stronger, more bada$$ than I every dreamed possible. For the first time in my life I am truly starting to love my body and what lifting is doing to it.

It's a very slow process though which can be tough to deal with at first....scale not moving, measurements not moving all the while you KNOW that stuff is happening to your body! So worth the hard times though!
  • KimPratt222
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know that it is a slow process. I am actually getting used to that idea already. I have learned to be very patient and know that if I do things the right way, it is just going to take time. And I'm 38 years old, so things just move slower now! :)

So glad you have seen such great results! I'm feeling pretty badass and stronger already, and am only on week 2! :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with week 9 of my first SL cycle. I think my biggest gains have been with the strength. I got a little lax with diet when I started and then took off from logging and really watching what I ate for most of April. I am just starting to track and work on leaning back down today.

As for my diet, well, now that I'm off of my break, I aim for 80/20 whole food to processed. My diary is open, but I only have one day for April (today). March has some things, but I think I was getting burnt out of tracking at that point. I like to cook and make most of my food myself.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I also aim for a rough goal of 80/20. I have a wicked sweet tooth that I have learned to accommodate (which works fine as long as I move a lot and lift heavy), so that is where most of my '20' goes. I cook a lot, and am gluten-free, so lots of veggies and protein; I get my carbs from the aformentioned chocolate and veggies and fruits and the occasional rice. I don't worry about fat overly much, because for every day I go over, there are two days where I'm under. So I focus on getting in protein at every meal (I eat 6 times a day minimum) and eating yummy stuff.

I'm sure I would lose fat faster if I cut down my sugar intake, but I know from long experience that no chocolate=frustration for me.

I saw results very quickly in the first month, but now that I'm almost 8 weeks in things are slowing down - but I don't really mind because I love how the lifting makes me feel - and I am definitely still changing underneath my padding. :smile:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Most of this won't really be relevant for you I don't think, because I have a lot more weight to lose than you do, but here goes! :bigsmile:

I've been following a plan called Radiant Recovery for 8 1/2 years. Basically, I eat enough protein (and I don't count plant proteins for the most part), enough complex carbs to keep my mood high, and lots of veggies. I eat three meals and two snacks every day, I never go more than 5 hours without eating, I have a carb at night that is designed to (and does!) raise my serotonin. I don't eat added sweeteners, I'm pretty limited in the fruits that I eat, I don't eat refined flours. I'm also mostly gluten free. Not eating sweet things keeps me from getting my beta endorphins primed. So the program addresses my blood sugar, serotonin, and beta endorphin all through food instead of drugs. :happy:

All of that came about gradually over time -- years -- so it's very ingrained. Every choice that I make is just that, my choice. What I almost always do is choose what makes me feel my best. I keep a journal where I record what I ate and how I am feeling, and that guides me to what foods do better for me and what foods don't. When I first came to MFP I said that I 'eat clean', but now I don't really like the word 'clean', I've come to see that it doesn't mean what I thought it did. I also eat junky foods like Fritos, too. :smile:

Since January 1 I've been logging and watching my calories, which I had never done before for more than a day or two. I've had my goal set anywhere from 2,000 to 2,160. At the end of March I was feeling low and had a little bit of a stall so I ate at my observed TDEE of 2,700 for 3 days. Other than that I've had some high-cal days but not too many.

I started SL in early February. Before that I was lifting, just not doing a barbell program. My results so far have been 1 1/2 pounds weight loss per week throughout. The admittedly inaccurate body fat calculators show me losing 100% fat. 3 1/2 inches off of my bust, waist, and hips. My strength has gone up quite a bit.

And my bad knees have gotten sooo much better. I was skeptical that deep weighted squats were even going to be possible for me, let alone that they would help my knees, but now I am a believer.

So yeah, pretty good results so far!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole lotta whatever I want, with a mental eye towards making choices that include protein and vegetables but I don't stress over it.

I don't drink soda and I generally do not eat protein bars or shakes. Occassionally, if I'm in a hurry or too lazy to deal with it.

Otherwise, I seriously eat any food that I genuinely like and will enjoy and do not eat food that I will not enjoy.

Oh and I do not particularly restrict when I eat or how often, although I try to avoid eating when I'm not actually hungry, and I generally don't eat breakfast but I do sometimes have a snack at 10, if I'm hungry.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank the OP for this thread and everyone else who commented. I did Insanity and (almost) finished it but the second month was broken up by illness, work and vacation, so it wasn't really 'on program'. Nevertheless, I saw pretty good results in weight and fat reduction. I liked Insanity but need a break from it. I am not a cardio fan and dread it in general. I was psyched to start SL because I have always loved lifting and feeling strong.

But, I'm starting week 3 and I'm seeing the scale creep up. I can handle that if I'm really making progress in other areas, but I also noticed my measurements creeping up and am feeling 'fatter'- not so ok with that. I am eating about the same as I was when doing Insanity, although am not logging as diligently. I'd bet I'm eating fewer calories, though but not sure about net since I'm not sure how to estimate calories burned from lifting?

I almost abandoned SL and went back to Insanity. At this point I really need to be healthy but I want my body to look good. I've been through a lot in the last few years and I'm sick of being ashamed of how I look. Vanity is motivating me in large part and I can admit that. :)

I want to keep lifting, but may add some cardio on alternate days. For those who have done Insanity or the like, how do you eat compared to those programs? more? less? different macros? Just curious...

Boy, that was a long-winded way to ask that question wasn't it? Sorry.

*Edited to add.... I had this window open and started asking my question a while ago and several people have added some answers since that helped. thanks
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    But, I'm starting week 3 and I'm seeing the scale creep up. I can handle that if I'm really making progress in other areas, but I also noticed my measurements creeping up and am feeling 'fatter'- not so ok with that. I am eating about the same as I was when doing Insanity, although am not logging as diligently. I'd bet I'm eating fewer calories, though but not sure about net since I'm not sure how to estimate calories burned from lifting?

Bolded for emphasis.

Before you assume its the change in exercise, try logging with the same amount of diligence so you can rule that out. Also check in on some other things, like your water and sodium intake. And your carbs.

I am not someone who thinks people need to limit sodium (unless they have a medical reason) but if you were eating low sodium or low carb before, and then you increased them, you're going to put on some normal and perfectly healthy water weight. Carbs in particular account for a lot of water weight - that's why people who go low carb always lose a ton of scale weight in the beginning (and why they see a huge weight rebound when they go off the diet), you drop water like crazy.

Those things aside its pretty normal to see some swelling/bloating when you change things. If you see continued inches gain (and don't see them fluctuated downward after rest days, for example) after 6 weeks then I think it would be good to reevaluate either your calories or your activity.

It doesn't need to be cardio, specifically, it can also be just NEAT - do more walking, more gardening, more cleaning/cooking, absolutely anything that involves standing instead of sitting. I do very little cardio, as I also dislike it, but I walk quite a lot, and I try to be very conscious of my time spent at the TV or computer. I never let myself sit in front of either one for hours without taking frequent breaks to get up and do something - so I'll watch an episode of something, then I'll get up and do the dishes before I watch anymore.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you tameko2 for tackling my somewhat aimless question- most kind of you to take the time.

Yeah, I started today to be serious about my logging again. I think even with calories being the same, I choose better foods, drink more water and get more protein when I know I'm going to log it. So, that could definitely be a factor.

Thanks for reminding me to wait it out and see what happens over the next couple weeks and to just increase activity overall and to consider the sodium and carbs. Good points.

I get frustrated and have such a hard time with slow progress- because 1) I'm impatient and 2) I'm so afraid of going backwards or that I'm doing it wrong and it just won't work for me (because I just might be that special snowflake, afterall, lol)

You have helped me when I really needed it- thanks again! And good job on your loss and progress!!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My body adapts very well to whatever I am doing actually. Which can be both good and bad....I notice even the smallest of progress in how my body looks over a few days to a week, and lost 15 pounds in 2 months. Since January I've been following a 'paleo-ish' diet. For breakfast I usually eat eggs and bacon or sometimes I make pancakes with almond flour, and stir-fry bananas (If you've never sliced a banana and cooked it on the stove before, do it. It's amazing.) For a snack I'll have some almonds or mandarin oranges or another type of fruit. For lunch I usually eat some type of meat/protein with lots of veggies, usually spinach. Then dinnertime I usually have the same thing. If I'm coming home from the gym then I'll eat some extra protein or a sweet potato. I've definitely been leaning out especially since lifting and the weight just keeps melting off. But if I were to stop all this, stop lifting, go back to a 'normal' diet, I would start gaining weight within a few days. My body is very responsive and I really can't slack off. I would love to have people look at my diary, but I haven't logged in weeks. :( I have to start doing it again but I honestly stopped measuring out my foods because I usually just eyeball everything now.
  • KimPratt222
    Options
    Most of this won't really be relevant for you I don't think, because I have a lot more weight to lose than you do, but here goes! :bigsmile:

I've been following a plan called Radiant Recovery for 8 1/2 years. Basically, I eat enough protein (and I don't count plant proteins for the most part), enough complex carbs to keep my mood high, and lots of veggies. I eat three meals and two snacks every day, I never go more than 5 hours without eating, I have a carb at night that is designed to (and does!) raise my serotonin. I don't eat added sweeteners, I'm pretty limited in the fruits that I eat, I don't eat refined flours. I'm also mostly gluten free. Not eating sweet things keeps me from getting my beta endorphins primed. So the program addresses my blood sugar, serotonin, and beta endorphin all through food instead of drugs. :happy:

All of that came about gradually over time -- years -- so it's very ingrained. Every choice that I make is just that, my choice. What I almost always do is choose what makes me feel my best. I keep a journal where I record what I ate and how I am feeling, and that guides me to what foods do better for me and what foods don't. When I first came to MFP I said that I 'eat clean', but now I don't really like the word 'clean', I've come to see that it doesn't mean what I thought it did. I also eat junky foods like Fritos, too. :smile:

Since January 1 I've been logging and watching my calories, which I had never done before for more than a day or two. I've had my goal set anywhere from 2,000 to 2,160. At the end of March I was feeling low and had a little bit of a stall so I ate at my observed TDEE of 2,700 for 3 days. Other than that I've had some high-cal days but not too many.

I started SL in early February. Before that I was lifting, just not doing a barbell program. My results so far have been 1 1/2 pounds weight loss per week throughout. The admittedly inaccurate body fat calculators show me losing 100% fat. 3 1/2 inches off of my bust, waist, and hips. My strength has gone up quite a bit.

And my bad knees have gotten sooo much better. I was skeptical that deep weighted squats were even going to be possible for me, let alone that they would help my knees, but now I am a believer.

So yeah, pretty good results so far!

Actually, you and I eat almost the same way! :) I like your idea of a carb at night...what do you eat before bed? I've been sticking with protein and fat at night, but I am thinking of doing more carbs at night. Any good tips?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    and stir-fry bananas (If you've never sliced a banana and cooked it on the stove before, do it. It's amazing.)

How do you do this and why on earth have I never tried it??!!!!! The options to eat these yummylicious fried bananas are endless!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    and stir-fry bananas (If you've never sliced a banana and cooked it on the stove before, do it. It's amazing.)

How do you do this and why on earth have I never tried it??!!!!! The options to eat these yummylicious fried bananas are endless!

Oh, fry them in butter, and add in a bit of maple syrup at the end...then pour over ice cream...*drool*
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Actually, you and I eat almost the same way! :) I like your idea of a carb at night...what do you eat before bed? I've been sticking with protein and fat at night, but I am thinking of doing more carbs at night. Any good tips?

If you go to radiantrecovery.com you can get more information. I don't want to take this group too far off track, PM me if you want to talk more :smile:
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m on week 12 of first SL cycle. I’ve had a very complicated and somewhat emotional ride with Stronglifts and finding a balance with my calorie intake. (Yes that is why I kind of retreaded a bit from the group because I hate to be emotional.) Anyways, when I started the program I was eating 1650cals and not eating the exercise calories back. I started feeling very weak, exhausted all the time, pain and aches every week, and no real strength increase. There was no progression and I gained 3lbs. The first week of April I decided to change things and changed my goals to maintenance as per MFP and got 1830cals. I’m paying more attention to my macros and eating between 110-137g of protein a day. Most of my carbs come from brown rice, veggies, and sprouted bread (with the more than occasional treat cause I have a huge sweet tooth). My fats come from peanut butter, avocados, and fish like salmon. I don’t eat a lot of fruit and most of the protein is from lean white-meat, beef like twice a week, but no pork. I also have the 80/20% approach. Is the end of the month and I can say that all my lifts started progressing and I’ve seen an increase between 15 to 40lbs by adding only 180 calories to my daily intake. I will know my weight and measurements stats next week and will make adjustments from there. So, listen to your body, log, and analyze you diary to see how things are working for you.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Oh, fry them in butter, and add in a bit of maple syrup at the end...then pour over ice cream...*drool*

Not to divert even more - but I make something like this, but with ripe plantains and bacon. It is so very, very good.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been leaning out especially since lifting and the weight just keeps melting off. But if I were to stop all this, stop lifting, go back to a 'normal' diet, I would start gaining weight within a few days. My body is very responsive and I really can't slack off.

omg...me too!!! it's GREAT in some ways, but STINKS in others. my body reacts so quickly to what types of food i feed it.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Not to divert even more - but I make something like this, but with ripe plantains and bacon. It is so very, very good.

You had me sold at bacon :love:
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    you're welcome to friend me! my diary is only open to friends b/c a few times people from the message boards would give me "pointers" when i didn't ask for them. lol.

i aim for a gram of protein per pound of body weight (ends up being about 35%ish) and 25%ish fat. only look since april 22 and then before march 15. i took a month off....traveling, tired, fed up. BACK AT IT hardcore now. :) i still have 3 pounds to lose from that month off, so my calorie goal is low but will only be that low for a few more weeks.
  • KimPratt222
    Options

If you go to radiantrecovery.com you can get more information. I don't want to take this group too far off track, PM me if you want to talk more :smile:

Thanks! I'll check it out!