Hey there!

Options
Hi! I recently joined MFP and am looking for horsey friends to motivate me to get thinner to ease the burden on my older Arabian gelding. Anyone here willing to friend me and keep me on track? Thanks!

Replies

• bsgordon
    bsgordon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too want to lose weight/stay fit for riding. I ride Tennessee Walkers. The gait of the horse really works my abs and back. I find that yoga helps with flexibility for unassisted mounting and dismounting. Also helps maintain balance in the saddle.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I've never ridden walkers, although I had a standardbred once who loved to play with his gaits. I've been getting into yoga too, I hope it will improve my core strength. :)
  • bsgordon
    Options
    A good start would be the simple sun salutation sequence. This sequence will work every muscle in your body. Start by holding poses for as little or as many seconds as you can and work your time up from there. There are so many poses it can be very overwhelming. I do the sun salutation daily. I, like you, want to target mostly core. With any pose the key is to keep your body in alignment, do not let your knees move past your toes, keep your back straight. Use aids as needed and you will eventually stop. Finding a good instructor where I live is very pricey. I paid the money a couple of years ago and gained a lot of valuable information. Now I mostly stick with the sun salutation and add poses to specific target areas. Also do a lot of treadmill and strengthening/toning with weights.

I have osteoarthritis and the yoga really helps. I'm not sure of your age, I am 51 and yes age DOES make a difference. I am tweeking my activity combo to keep me moving without stressing my body, building stamina, and gaining energy. It seems to be working!

The key is to be kind to yourself, keep moving forward but advance at your own pace, and allow the set-backs. Celebrate who you are and where you are in life. Took me a long time to learn that but once I accepted it, I became a happier person.

Listen to me while I ramble. SORRY!

Websites to visit . . . .

www.yogasite.com/sunsalute.htm -- this site has a good "stick figure" sun saluation sequence that is easy to follow.

Yoga Journal -- I signed up for emails and facebook. Will send good information.

Prevention magazine -- Again, I receive emails and visit site often.

Have a great day and Good Luck!
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    I have an American Quarter Horse and my son rides my sister's quarter pony. I think that if I expect my horse to be in shape then I need to be too. I have lost 40 pounds using in home workout programs and I am still working hard to reach my fitness goals. I ent a friend request to each of you. Happy riding!
  • bsgordon
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Thats fantastic!

I practice yoga at home as well as use a treadmill. I also find that group exercise if a huge motivator for me. I love being around people who exercising/dieting to become more healthy and in shape. It helps everyone to be able to share trials and triumphs.

Do you trail ride? I have been to Michigan several times but never on horseback. Absolutely LOVE Michigan.

Any recommendations horsecamps/trails?

Thanks for the invite!
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    I use to show in 4-h and I have done some camping with the horses mostly when I was younger. I have always gone to Ionia to the State park because its close to home. I have heard good things about Yankee Springs also. Now I just ride for fun at my parents house because that's where my horse is.