Life post marathon

dorianaldyn
dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
My first full marathon is coming up in mid-May and I've spent that last several months loyally following a training program to prepare. I've looked up what I should do for the ~month following the marathon to ensure I get proper rest, gradually building up mileage again - but then what? If my goal is to do several half marathons each year and potentially one marathon / yr, what sort of weekly mileage should I be looking at?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    My $.02 - it sounds counter-intuitive, but I find the best way to recover it to get back out there and start running. I reject any plan that says no running for a week (or a month) after your marathon. Take a couple days off, then starting walking and try to running super slow. You will be AMAZED how much better you feel after that first run (but not during...).

I basically do my taper in reverse and then I'm ready to go. I like to stay in what I call "half shape" year 'round. By keeping my long run ~ 14 - 16, I can race a half anytime and I can ramp up for a marathon in 8 or 10 weeks.

Good luck on race day!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    I can't find the study now, but I did read somewhere that there is a noticeable uptick in depression after one finishes the marathon -- especially after training for 14, 16, or 20 weeks -- whatever your schedule may be and then it's simply over after a couple of hours.

My advice, first and foremost, embrace the marathon. Embrace the fact that people are cheering you on and others have helped you get this far. It's really a surreal experience as you approach the finish line and think about what you just physically accomplished.

I did read, and this is based on some coaches and running experts -- that they say to take off or rest one day for every mile that you race in the marathon -- naturally, this ends up being 26 days.

After I finished my marathon last fall, I think I took about 5 days off from any form of exercise, and then after a few days, I gradually incorporated some cycling / stationary bike into my routine. I think I started running again about 2-3 weeks after finishing the marathon. If i had to do it again -- I would have allocated a few more days to rest, but let your body be the judge.

Best of luck, you're going to do great!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    My $.02 - it sounds counter-intuitive, but I find the best way to recover it to get back out there and start running.
    Totally agree. In my non-scientific study using 1 subject (me) I found that running the day after helps with long-term recovery. I suggest something short (~3 miles) at a VERY slow pace. You aren't trying to break any records, just move the blood and keep the legs loose.
    I personally do not understand going down to almost nothing and then building back up again. After spending months establishing a strong base I don't want to give it up. I am not suggesting you run anohter marathon next month but you should not taper your mileage down to zero. Take it easy for a few weeks running 3-4 times a week nice and easy. No tempo runs, hill workouts, track work, etc just nice easy runs. After that see where you are and start working up for a fall marathon.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Last year after my half I took a couple weeks off and found it next to impossible to get back in the groove again. I lost it for the summer and started up again in the fall. I haven't decided how much time I want to take off this year. But I can feel myself getting mentally burnt out right now so I know I'll need some time to relax and recover. I'm wondering the same thing as you lol
  • DavidMartinez2
    Your other option is to just roll with it Marathon Maniac style and run another marathon in two weeks :)
    http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    lol. That's crazy.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I agree with Arc and David. I run nice and easy for a week or two, cutting back on both intensity and duration. Then I gear up again. But usually my marathons are training runs for ultras and then there is no rest for the wicked! Listen to your body. If you are overtired during the day, and struggle to sleep you probably need some rest.

I also find that I run my fastest half marathon times post-marathon when I am ready to race again. That is always a nice bonus.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    First Marathon: I took a few days off completely then did a short slow run on dirt trail. Man! It was terrible! It didn't hurt but my muscles just felt so fatigued. I had to work so hard to go so slow so I just listen to my body and didn't try to push it even though it was pretty frustrating. It got better though and I am glad I was patient with myself. I had a 15K race about a month after the marathon and PR'ed.

So yes run but listen to your body try not to be to be too hard on yourself if its slow going for a while.

I have two marathons planned this year with 1 month of recovery planned between 16 week training cycles. I am going to take it easy but I will definately be running during that month to keep myself loose and conditioned.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Honestly, I think a big factor is how fast your MP is compared to your long run, easy pace. If your MP is only 30 seconds or a minute per mile faster than easy pace, the marathon isn't going to stress your body much more than a 22 mile long run. For someone who's MP is 2+ minutes per mile faster than easy run pace, you are going to do a lot more damage to your body.

Personally, I have tried to run the week after a marathon and it just doesn't work for me. This past marathon, I tried to start back after 6 days and I ended up hurt and took off for almost a month. After my next marathon, I plan to not run for 3 full weeks.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very interesting. Overall it seems that I shouldn't have too many expectations at this point about what I'll do after the marathon. I'll plan on running the race, seeing how I feel during and after and let that guide me on how I recover and how soon I start running again. I definitely don't want to injure myself, but I don't want to get completely out of the habit either. I'm also trying to figure out what future races I want to do, if I want to stick to halves, try another marathon (if so, which one), etc...

Thanks again!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    For someone who's MP is 2+ minutes per mile faster than easy run pace, you are going to do a lot more damage to your body.
    To me that is the difference between "running" a marathon and "racing" a marathon. Most of the time I just go out there and run, the times I do plan to race I taper and recover more properly.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    For someone who's MP is 2+ minutes per mile faster than easy run pace, you are going to do a lot more damage to your body.
    To me that is the difference between "running" a marathon and "racing" a marathon. Most of the time I just go out there and run, the times I do plan to race I taper and recover more properly.

I can only train for one quality marathon per year, so I always race it. To me, that is why I spend the money, to race.