Hi!

Options
WhataBroad
WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
Just saw this group and wow... it's new alright!!

I've been running for about a year now and I'm doing the Lululemon Seawheeze in Vancouver in August.

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did my first in March and am doing number 2 in July: Costume half in San Diego!
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    I did my first in March and am doing number 2 in July: Costume half in San Diego!

sounds fun... better be a light costume! what are you dressing as?
  • wooddee05
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon in October. Actually I started training this week.
  • ctpeace
    Options
    Still deciding: Topping the general consensus list are She-Ra, Wonder Woman and an 80's aerobics queen (a la Jane Fonda), I'm still not sure, as I don't expect to even be within 20 lbs of goal weight then I want to be sure it's something that I feel fun in rather than self-conscious.
  • ctpeace
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon in October. Actually I started training this week.

Way to go!!! you can totally do this, it's an amazing journey.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been running since Feb of 2012. I ran my first half in April. I am signed up for my next half in the end of September (Air Force Marathon in Dayton, OH). I am contemplating either the half (or full because I am fully crazy) Columbus Marathon at the end of October depending on how I feel.

I am using a combo of training plans this go around. Mostly Jeff Galloway but with hills, sliders and tempo work built in to help my speed a bit. What is everyone else using?
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    Excellent wooddee, enjoy!

Comfort is always first ctpeace.

This will be my first 1/2 and I am using a combo plan too ; Runner's World training plan and a plan on my Runkeeper app. They are very similar so it's easy to mesh!
  • motivatenikki
    motivatenikki Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i, too, am participating in my first half marathon this year. it is in december. notice - i said participating. i haven't even run a 5k, but i felt the need to sign up for this half marathon as a big fat motivator to get in shape this year. so far, i've only done a walk/jog for two miles twice a week. (i wanted to drop some pounds first so that i would have less weight to carry.) picking up the pace this week though.

would love some advice on training programs. guessing i should just start with c25k and move on to longer runs from there?
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    Congrats Nikki! Yes, I would suggest the c25k to start with! You've plenty of time to prepare, you just have to do it! =)
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm running my first 1/2 marathon at the end of May :)
  • katydid29
    katydid29 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have done two half marathons before and had trouble with the training. I have another one set in place for October and want to do it as a hat trick.
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    Excellent kiwi and Katy!

Katy, what did you have trouble with?
  • katydid29
    katydid29 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The main trouble I had was sticking to the training by increasing my miles each week, when I run the same place I get bored often. However this summer I have joined a running club and so hopefully running with people will help me stick to it better.
  • SadieHQ
    SadieHQ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i, too, am participating in my first half marathon this year. it is in december. notice - i said participating. i haven't even run a 5k, but i felt the need to sign up for this half marathon as a big fat motivator to get in shape this year. so far, i've only done a walk/jog for two miles twice a week. (i wanted to drop some pounds first so that i would have less weight to carry.) picking up the pace this week though.

would love some advice on training programs. guessing i should just start with c25k and move on to longer runs from there?

Awesome!

Hi! I started out with a similar plan to the c25k. I've now run 3 halfs. One back in 2009. Then I fell off the wagon both running and weight wise. Then I had our son. He's now 2. I re-started running in the fall of 2012 and ran 2 halfs in April 2013 ('cause I'm stupid that way).

I love the distance because it's something I can do at my own pace - I've got like 50 pounds to lose but I can do slow and steady.

good luck!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first HM on June 2nd! Actually, it will be my first race ever. I just started this running thing back in January. My friend and I signed up for the race as a way to kick our butts into gear to lose weight and for me to shock my body into doing something it never liked doing before.

First I printed a 20-week training program to follow... didn't stick with it. Then I found a 16-week training program.... same thing. So I have been consistent with my beginner's 12 week training program. It will take me up to 10 miles. So far I've only run 7mi in one sitting (running? lol) and the race is less than a month away.... I think I'll be okay though. My only goal is to finish. Wish me luck! and Good Luck to all of you :)
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    Good luck to you Amy!! I have a 10k on that day so here's hoping we have some nice, overcast and cool day!! lol =)
  • Jim_Kintsugi
    Jim_Kintsugi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started running in April and I just started training for a half marathon. I'm not entering a race or anything, just gonna do it on my own. I'm hoping to be able to run the distance in 2 to 3 months.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I've been running now for years. Two pregnancies and a hip injury later I'm ready to ramp up to a 13.1 race. I haven't paid yet but I'm running one in November. I'm pretty excited. The race is actually in a HUGE military park in GA and it should be gorgeous. Good luck everyone. I'm open to new friends too :)