Replies

• phoenix3050
    phoenix3050 Posts: 56
    Options
    I want to, but I don't think I'll have the time or money to create one. :(
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love costumes but I don't have the guts to dress up for a convention. Would love to see progress pics of your costume as you work on it, if you're up for that sort of thing. I've always loved seeing the things that people do :D
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty novice cosplayer, but it's still fun! I did Tyrande at the last Blizzcon, was fun, but definitely not accurate.

6275499706_ee45452aea_z.jpg
    Blizzcon 2011 by plumwd, on Flickr

6275500352_26d4c701d3_z.jpg
    Blizzcon 2011 by plumwd, on Flickr
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I want to cosplay, but im so self-conscious about my weight. I mean, I fell like I'm ok and no one would say anything if I'm walking around the con normally, but if I'm dressed up, I feel like I would get a lot of negative reaction. Plus with wanting to lose 30lbs before the con and like 70 lbs overall, I'm hoping that if I started something now it wouldn't fit.

That said....one of the many many reasons I'm trying to lose weight is so I can cosplay at some point :D I'll probably go as my NE hunter when I do, maybe next years con? That would be an amazing goal!
  • aerynth
    aerynth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really, really want to, but I don't think I'd ever be okay with that many people looking at my body. Even at my smallest weight (I lost almost 80 pounds and then gained 15 back), I was comfortable with people I knew, but extremely anxious when strangers would stare at me. Cosplay is an excuse for people to stare, ogle, and take pictures, which would be self-conscious central.

How do you guys get the confidence to cosplay? Especially the costumes that show legs, midriff, and/or cleavage?
  • nicheven
    Options
    I don't think I will ever do one with midriff (unless I lose all my weight and feel really good!) but I've always wanted attention lol. Not in a bad way, I just don't mind people talking to me, and most people aren't looking at your boobs and stuff unless you dress in the very teeny costumes (which to me, seem like a cry for the wrong attention). Most of the people from what I've seen, are generally interested in your concept and how it came out.

That said, I love my boobs. While I hope that while I'm losing weight that they go down a bit, I really don't want to loose them, as I am fairly gifted in that area, and its the one part of me I like, other than my face.
  • aerynth
    aerynth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought I was okay with attention. I thought that, after years of being obese, I would actually enjoy people looking at me and having the confidence to pull it off. Once I reached my goal weight, and my weight loss progress pictures went viral, I learned a bit too late that it definitely wasn't okay. Having thousands of people criticizing my body when I wasn't even fully accepting of it yet was really depressing. You get this idea of what you'll look like with weight loss and realize when you get there that you're just a smaller version of you, but not super lean/toned and a firm type of curvy. 200 or 125 pounds, I was still really soft and flabby in some places. The stretch marks never went away and my boobs deflated. :(

Sorry. Don't mean to depress!
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't dare show midriff. I'm not overweight, but I'm trying to lean out. However, I have had 3 kids and you can tell ;) I'm definitely not opposed to showing some cleavage (and my costume will), nor my legs.

For my costume, the dress comes to about 4 inches above the knee, it shows a lot of leg! I want to be really fit muscle-wise so that I don't get bad criticism and look my best there.

When it comes down to it, guys like boobs!
  • nicheven
    Options
    I think the biggest part is knowing what you're working with. Not a tight toned tummy? Wear a teir gear (most are full covering). Same for legs. My main is a druid so if I did her, I wouldn't actually have to show anything, even the boobs are covered. Or find a character who wears a robe with some cleavage and get a good pushup bra.
  • ViciousGrizzleyBear
    Options
    My main goal is to loose enough weight so I can attempt Sylvanas. If I feel I don't reach it than no way will you see me prancing about Blizzcon in her armor. Haha