Share with us your ..

What are some of your best rituals to better care for U?

For me I eat better and thanks to MFP I count my svgs.
I have researched some healthy things to eat that make
my body function and look better. It is exciting to
nurture myself. I'm still learning but i know I've put
more thought into nurture and love of my body. I was
trapped so long in my heavier size that I had that mind
set 'why bother'. How sad huh. Anyway I care now and am
turning it around the best I can. :)

Replies

• The best rituals that work for me. That's a loaded question, lotus. It really is. I say that it's a loaded question because of the word "rituals". If we look up the definition, it says that a ritual is a set of actions, usually performed for a symbolic value.

It's dangerous to think that weight loss can be achieved through rituals. Thinking that if you get up and you put your left foot on the ground first instead of your right, you won't lose weight, or if you forgot to spin around 3 times and toss sensa crystals over your shoulder you haven't appeased the weight loss or fitness gods. This is dangerous and loaded territory.

But none of that rambling of mine was an answer to a question. A still very loaded question. I don't have anything that works best for me. I don't have a plan, or a manual, or a guidebook. I'm doing this with my holster at my hip and a screwitall attitude. I try to make plans for the next day, but when it comes right down to it, today is hard enough.

Recently I've given up the whole notion of sticking to a caloric number to lose weight. What is that anyway? 1200 calories is magic?? 1500 is magical too? This is just another bull**** ritual that you didn't really put any thought into. You just plugged it into a tool and are following it like a ****ing lemming. Good for you! Awesome willpower! Go on ahead and beat yourself up when you've crossed an imaginary line on an imaginary weight loss barrier. If you take offense to this, I'm not apologizing. This is what pertains to -me-. I set my calorie goals to maintenance. Why? I work out. I eat healthy. More so than I did a year ago! There is no magical weight loss number, just a number that's a general guideline. And even that is just a guess.

So, I guess the answer is is that I get up, I eat healthy. I work out, I try to move. And I keep my head on my shoulders. There is no magic number. There is no right, there is no wrong. Just live.
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Teacups, I respect your opinion on the idea of rituals. I wouldn't
    press upon anyone taking up notions they wouldn't want to try.
    I meant what things do you do for your body you might not
    have used to have done.

Like I now eat things I would never have done before. I actually
    pamper myself sometimes. The quality of sleep I get -I try to
    improve upon. Things like that.
  • well..those really aren't rituals ;) But yea. Sure. More sleep is awesome.
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    lol New habits I suppose.
    .. and if my allergies ever improve, I might on routine get decent rest. :)
  • lifesigns64
    lifesigns64 Posts: 110
    For many years I stop taking care. Of myself in all areas for many reasons.

I decided to take care of myself now...not waiting till I'm thinner. For instance I take better care of my skin.
    Bought some cleansers and moisturizer. Because. I am heavy I disliked myself tor allowing this weight gain and did NOTHING
    For myself.

I recently started doing my nails.... little things I gave up years ago.
  • dburton2
    dburton2 Posts: 6 Member
    Gaining weight is not a reason not to take care of one's self. I take time out to mosturize my skin after each bath or shower, I use to think that was too much of an effort to do so, I get my nails done occassionally, wear makeup, and I just make sure that I look my best. I buy myself things, pretty clothing and shoes. I have taken care of others for so long that I just totally neglected myself, no more!.