Don't drown your salad...choking! 5/2/2013

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/homemade-salad-dressing/?e=WRmxX23w

Now before you say "Uh huh not doing it!" Give it a chance. I challenge you today to make your own salad dressing. YOU can do it! I thought a pain to unitl I did it in 5 minutes and said, "so why were you fussing?" I bet you all of you have ingredients in your kitchen right now anyway...so make some tonight when you get home from work or if home try it now. Trust me you will really like it.
When I tried to eat store bought dressing again it tasted bland to me...like the ones like above have more flavor. So, go for the gold today!

Peace,
WW
PS try the Ranch one too in the blog. Good!

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I've done it before (when I did one of those bad for you really low cal diets!) but the dressing I made was REALLY good! I just took a little glass jar I had and put all the ingredients in the jar, put the lid on tight and gave it a good shake (excellent arm workout BTW) and away I went! When I made more than a single serving size, I just took one of my ziploc plastic containers with a screw cap and made a whole bunch, same procedure!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    nom nom nom!!!!:smile:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    We make something similar to the vinaigrette at home sometimes. The article lies. Pretty much any extra virgin olive oil will work.

If you really want it to blow your socks off with flavor add a little balsamic.

Thai salad recipe
    Got flank steak?
    Grill it up with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Rest it.
    Cut it on the bias into 2-4 inch strips about 1/4 inch thick.

Dressing
    1 Tbsp. lime juice
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. fish sauce - OR 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. white wine vinegar, or rice vinegar (we use red wine and white together)
    2-3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
    1 fresh red thai chili minced
    1/4 tsp. dried crushed chili
    1-2 tsp. white sugar (to taste. we usually don't use any.)
    pinch of coarse black pepper

Put the cut meat on top of spring mix salad.
    Pour the dressing on top.
    Cry from the pain as you can't stop eating it while it burns your face off.

Super simple. Super good.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Thank you Aackx3 and WonderWoman for the recipes. I like to play with my salad dressings. I do often eat bare salad though since I'm adding in eggs or avocado or cheese - those are all good fat sources.

The only good thing that came out of my stint with Weight Watchers 10 years ago was when at a restraurant, dip your fork into the side dish of dressing and then spear up the fork full of salad. If you were to measure it, you get about a tsp of salad dressing rather than the gobs and gobs of it that drown your salad if you don't order the dressing on the side. Even my 9 year old orders his dressing on the side. And we don't do veggie dips (aka ranch dressing over kill). Enjoy that fresh lovely taste of the veg is what I tell my kids. How can you taste it if it's covered in salad dressing? I hate the ranch dressing commercials. Boo Hiss.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've been putting Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing on everything lately; I love it so.

I think I could make a version at home if I put my mind to it ;) ...olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, lemon...

Thanks for the recipes, WW & aakx3.
  • threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a minimalist for my salads. I have some green apple balsamic I bought a street fair and it is the bomb!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I made my own ranch dressing and let it sit in the refrigerator a couple days for flavors to meld....ate some last night....O-M-G!!!!! Yummolicious!

Another recipe:
    Now I will tell ya'll a secret...say you have your favorite jam or preserves and a smiggen left in jar...add some vinegar (red, white, balsamic or cider) and some Dijon mustard and you got your sweet and sour dressing!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own dressing quite a bit, and even bought a Tupperware shaker for easy storage, but I haven't done that in quite a while. I think once I finish the bottle of dressing I have in the fridge I'm going to go back to making my own! I'll have to try some of these recipes. Yum!