Bump/Baby Names

Options
kcasey155
kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
I've always liked to name my baby as soon as I got my BFP. Not yet knowing the gender doesn't stop me. This one I think of as 'Mambo' because it's my number five!

I'm now starting to think of baby names as I get closer to my anatomy scan. The general trend in my area at the moment is 'grandparent' type names. There are lots of Stanleys, Arthurs, Mollys, Daisys and Marthas. I like to name my children with middle names from family members, but the first name could be anything that goes with the surname.

As I know many of us intend to find out what we're having soon (or already have!) what names are you considering?

Replies

• jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My baby's name is going to be Jazmyn Elise. My daughter I already have is Jayla so I think Jayla and Jazmyn will be cute. :)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My son is Miles Alexander. If he had been a girl he would have been Ava Rose :)
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Beautiful names!!

HB I already told you that I love the name Miles and it's perfect for a son of yours :)
    Jayla and Jazmyn sound super cute together!

We haven't gotten there yet- my husband and I have very different tastes compounded by a very exotic last name! We tend to pick names in the hospital! Told you we're spontaneous.. :)

(btw my last name is not bodwen- my sn was supposed to be "new body" backwards but I was having a dyslexic day. true story.)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Oh ya, I should have said - Jazmyn is GORGEOUS. I have a cousin named Jasmine and just love it, but love the y and z.

@ybodwen, oh my gosh. Maybe I shouldn't be but that had me out-loud laughing! And oooh, I could never wait that long - my husband was like "we have until baby is born!" and I am just...not...that...patient. Haha!
  • jaylas_mom21
    Options
    Thank you guys! I've been set on the name Jazmyn for awhile now. I think Miles is really cute too! I'm pretty surprised hubby and I already agreed on the name so fast but glad to have that over with!
  • ybodwen
    Options
    yeah I know- I didn't even realize it for a few months and when I did I laughed out loud too :)
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Great names! I'm especially looking for inspiration for girl names. I've had lots of practice at boys names and have got that sorted.

So if this one is my fifth boy he will be 'JJ', full name Jamie John Robert. 'Jamie' because it's ten years this year since I lost my friend Jamie. 'John Robert' because it was the name of my Great Great Grandfather, but also because John was my other half's confirmation name and Robert was his grandfather's name and the dual meaning works for me.

For a girl I'm toying with the idea of Rosaleigh, because my MIL is Roisin (meaning irish rose) and my niece is Kayleigh, but I'm not set on it yet. It's also a versatile name and can be shortened to Rose, Rosa and Rosie.

My other half hasn't had much say in the naming department for the last three children. Talking to him about it got to be too much of a nightmare! When it comes to it I'll just say 'Daddy meet JJ' or whatever and he'll be fine ;) The only name he originally put his foot down about was the name Ronan, which I love and he doesn't.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    That is 'so' funny! :laugh: Why 'Stinky' Bean?
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We're having a girl but have not been able to even narrow down names yet. On our list:

Elizabeth
    Teresa (Tess)
    Louisa
    Catherine
    Bridget
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We have absolutely no names we agree on. I really like Henry after my grandfather. It's traditional, not over used and goes so well with his Dad's middle name James... Henry James... I love it. The only way it's going to happen is if he is out of town when I deliver. :)

We try on names and nothing lasts long.. Caleb.. no... Kevin.. no... then Collin... It lasted the longest until my daughter said he'd be called Colon... daggone it...

Any suggestions or ideas?
  • kcasey155
    Options
    There might be little things about the name you can agree on first - like how many syllables it will have, a middle name or two you'd like, any initials you can rule out because of spelling or multiple occupants. A cousin of mine had five children, four girls and a boy and every name began with a K! There's gonna be confusion when they start getting mail for Miss K Smith!

Also, you may want to rule out names used by the child's cousins. Perhaps you want a popular name, traditional name, biblical name, irish/celtic name or perhaps an unusual name?

You can use common name books or perhaps take a name from book or tv character. Another cousin named her sons from her favourite book characters and now has Addison and Bridger. My sister's name is Deeann after Deanna Troy in Star Trek! Or use a name from someone you admire or want to honour?
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Back to baby names... I'm now looking for irish or celtic girl names.

On the shortlist so far are Erin (Air-rin) and Niamh (Neave)...

Not much of a list yet! Any suggestions?

Her middle name might be Patricia, Mary or Deeann and surname Casey.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Oh, I love both of those!
  • ybodwen
    Options
    Me too! Love Niamh! So pretty.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Now leaning towards Aisling (Ashlyn) ... though last week it was anything beginning with R ...
    Once upon a time I was set on Eveny (Eve-nee) or Orla ... Oh, I don't know!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My daughter Evelyn picked the name for us out of a few we liked. He is officially Owen Elias. I think it is perfect and I am glad I didn't have to agonize over the name. I did enough of that last time! haha
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I love Aisling, that's gorgeous!

Aww, what a sweet way to pick a name. Owen Elias is really cute!

My daughter sort of helped us decide a name - as we were tossing names back and forth she rejected every single boys name for weeks. (She was sure he'd be a girl.) One day I asked about "Gabriel or Miles?" and she loved both, but continued rejecting everything else. We ended up going with Miles but I do think those two topped our list more because they were the first ones she liked.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Still no closer to finding a name for her... back to R's. Am now thinking Rosalyn or Roxanne?

Time to break out the baby name books I think!
  • jaylas_mom21
    Options
    Love all the baby names!

kcasey you need to be deciding! lol...I think Rosalyn is really pretty. ;)

Hubby and I had to compromise so the spelling of our baby girl's name has now changed to Jazzmyn per hubby's request. Whatever makes him happy. :)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I like Rosalyn too =)

Ohhh Jaylas_mom, making a chancge so late in the game would drive me crazy! You're much more flexible than I am, lol! (But then again I'm the freak who had my daughter's names - for boy or girl - picked when I was 6 weeks pregnant...)