failing OHP and fractional weights

Options
jlapey
jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
Hi, Yesterday I did my 12th session of SL5X5, so I'm still fairly new. During this session I experienced my first failed rep (so disappointing). It happened in my 3rd set of OHP using 65 pounds. The ones I did complete were very difficult and I almost peed my pants with the effort. I'm wondering if the 5 pound increase each session is too much. Do they make fractional plates smaller than 2.5? Would this be the way to go? Have any of you failed reps this early on?

Replies

• Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi, Yesterday I did my 12th session of SL5X5, so I'm still fairly new. During this session I experienced my first failed rep (so disappointing). It happened in my 3rd set of OHP using 65 pounds. The ones I did complete were very difficult and I almost peed my pants with the effort. I'm wondering if the 5 pound increase each session is too much. Do they make fractional plates smaller than 2.5? Would this be the way to go? Have any of you failed reps this early on?

Although there are plenty of DIY ways to microload, I got a set of fractionals made by Iron Woody from amazon about four or five years ago for around $40. I consider them essential equipment. Also, the press is always the first to need them.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I definitely needed fractional plates right from early on with the OHP. It's the lift I've had the least progression with, barely any at all after the first little bit. I still haven't even got to 65 lb, so I think your progress is impressive!

I bought a set that started at 0.125 kg, which is about a 1/4 of a lb.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I needed fractionals very early with the OHP too. I bought six 2 in diameter washers from Fastenal. I think it cost me $24 with shipping. Totally worth it.

edit: Actually if you search through the forum topics, I asked this quesiton there and several persons gave me the link. Might be helpful for you. I think the title was "Fastenal Washers."
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I use contractor size rolls of masking tape for my fractionals! They are 0.5lbs each and 8 rolls only cost me $20 :laugh:

Fractionals are definitely essential though!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of your for your replies. There are two more places here in town that I'm going to check for fractionals. If they don't have them, I will definitely order the fastenal washers. I found the link earlier and was surprised how inexpensive they are. :smile:

And thanks for letting me know that I'm not a wuss after all. :flowerforyou:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I bought these

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00056673/k-G2797697?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CP-V7IeGrbYCFRMZnQodTE0A-g

They were only 15.95 including shipping:) They are half a pound each and it came with 8 washers:) I love them!!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I love my Fastenal washers. They work like a charm, and I use them all the time now. I have my presses set to progress by 2.5 per week, and if need be I can drop down to 1.25. Progress is progress. I'm not going to beat my head against a wall because I can't get that 5-pound increase. It's better to be realistic and go up slowly and steadily. Going up 1.25 per week comes up to the same thing as struggling with a 5-pound increase for a month, with a lot less frustration along the way. Win/win in my book.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to say that this is the EXACT thing that happened to me this morning! I finished 3 sets at 65 lbs too, and then reached failure. I can only find only one 2 1/2 plate in the set that my husband got off of a set at Craiglist.

My husband will look at me weird when I ask if he wants to come with him to the hardware//tool store. Usually he's the one asking!:glasses: