How many squat racks?

Options
6550mom
6550mom Posts: 206 Member
How many in your gym. Our gym boasts about their square footage-over 25,000 square feet, has rock wall/room, racquet ball, kickbox room, but only one squat rack.

Just wondering if that's normal or if I should suggest they get another. I do get tired of waiting for it or of feeling rushed because someone is waiting for me. Doesn't seem to be the culture at my gym to 'work in'- everyone just takes turns doing their whole routines? Almost all dudes too. Couple of women sometimes, but they seem even less friendly and more irritated if you want to use the same equipment. Sigh. I'm not THAT easily intimidated or shy but it's not terribly comfortable either.

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I go to a decent sized gym (not as big as yours though) that is mostly cardio equipment, but we have one squat rack and a power rack. I've only ever had to wait once.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't that big either, but it's a decent size. We have one power rack and a Smith machine (which I don't use). I very rarely have to wait. Most of the guys in my gym are very accomodating to my schedule. :smile:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Mine has a squat rack and a power rack. I haven't had to wait much lately. It's all good.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Pretty decent sized YMCA. 2 squat racks, 4 Smith machines. Bwahahahahaaa! I almost never have to wait, because everybody else is over grunting on the Smiths.
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    Options
    I just switched to a pretty giant gym, though the weightlifting area isn't really super big, probably normal sized. They have 2 bench racks, a sitting OP rack, and a permanently semi inclined bench press (ARMS MUCH?!), 1 smith machine, 1 squat rack. However, I have to stick up for my gym, because today I discovered they have 3 Oly bars set aside for "Deadlift Only" or other unracked stuff! :heart:

If it's popular enough that you keep having to wait or having a line up behind you, there is no problem with putting in a suggestion! I mean worst thing is they say no, and you have lost nothing. Maybe strike up a conversation with some of the friendlier ish people (if they exist) using the rack and ask if it's always so busy, if they have made a suggestion, get a group effort going?

So far I've been lucky that people at my gym are either willing to work in or I get there before/after them. I'm assuming the reason most gyms don't have multiple squat racks is expensive and amount of room. And maybe not understanding how totally awesome they are.

BTW, curious, what is the difference between a squat rack and a power rack?
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Two squat racks in main part, and smith machine. In women's section, one rack. That's where I do most of my lifting, except for bench.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    2 racks (no idea if they are squat or power - look at my profile pic and let me know!), smith machine, 2 benches, 1 permanently inclined bench, a few spare bars for floor work... and I still have to wait sometimes (that's why I never warm up if the rack is free!)
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    3 racks/cages, 1 smith machine, 3-4 bench press stations, several moveable and reclinable benches, several spare oly/ez/trap bars lying about, a dip station or two plus a bunch of plate-loaded machines I can't identify and a huge rack of dumbbells. Not sure if they have a glute/ham raise station but I need to check next time I'm in.

Then there's the "normal" weight machine section (the weights you change with pins) and rows and rows of cardio machines. And a women's area, but they only have pre-loaded barbells and some dumbbells plus some cardio machines so I don't go in there.

It's a no-frills gym (no programmes, no free training, no spa, gym induction is optional), but for £16.99 a month ($26) I'm not complaining!
  • suznut8
    suznut8 Posts: 28
    Options
    There is only 1 power rack and one smith machine in my gym, it's classed as a 'fitness center' and has about 30 treadmills and ellipticals so sometimes I have to wait but very rarely.
    Everyone sits in front of the mirrors doing biceps! :D
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Xidia that is bargainous! I thought I was doing well at £25/month!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mine has 3 racks, 2 smith machines, and enough bench stations that I have never needed to count them. The first time I went, I had to wait for a rack, but that was a Monday evening. My work hours are not normal, so I've tried to go at off times so I don't have to wait.

One day, there were ladies in all three racks :love:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The gym I work at has an awesome free weights area but surprisingly only has one squat rack.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Two squat racks in main part, and smith machine. In women's section, one rack. That's where I do most of my lifting, except for bench.

Squat rack in the women's section, FOR THE WIN. Holy jeebus. I went in our women's section yesterday. There were PINK 3lb dumbbells and the heaviest anything was a 20 pound dumbbell. Sigh.

Thank you all for answering. There seems to be a lot of variability, but with a gym the size (and occupancy) of ours, it seems like they should have at least one more.

Oh, and I finally found a picture of the squat rack/power cage comparison.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126624063
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    aha! fab! so it's power cages at my gym :) thanks!
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is none at the two gyms I go to. Only smith machines :ohwell:. I may have to break up with one of them and find a gym with squat/power racks.
  • ski0721
    Options
    Sounds like a great gym. Any chance they are also in the US?
  • ski0721
    Options
    Last message was for xidia. Apparently I don't know how to copy someone's reply. D'oh!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have a small no frills gym. No showers even! There is one power cage and one smith machine, 2 flat bench press station, and 1 incline, lots of machines, dumbbells, and probably 25 cardio machines. They do have a jacobs ladder and a rope pull machine so their cardio options are more interesting than usual. I have to wait for the squat rack about 20% of the time or so. What is interesting is that the largest, most muscular guy there never does any of the major lifts. At $11 a month, I can't complain (its $20-25 for 24 hour access instead of 6am-9pm, but who needs that?).

ETA: Yes, definitely ask for another rack. Take pics of the waiting line even if you can. Do this for a week or two, and then show them the evidence of usage.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is none at the two gyms I go to. Only smith machines :ohwell:. I may have to break up with one of them and find a gym with squat/power racks.

Mine has three Smith machines...and a Max Rack. No Power Racks, so there isn't an option that truly forces me to stabilize. Kind of bums me out.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Trying for now to find the times when the gym/rack is least busy. I can do this when I'm not working, but it's much harder when I am (schedule constantly changes).

Sunday, about 9am worked out well though. I had not only the rack, but the whole room to myself! Separate stations for squat, bench and rows.

The gym said they don't plan to change anything right now, that most people prefer machines (of which there are MANY, and duplicates) and they want to cater to diverse interests. I like that they have a bouldering wall/room although I can truly say I've never seen anyone in there. Ever.

Oh well, I'll just get creative with my times when I can.