Mapmyrun vs. Garmin?

Options
I'd love to get your input on what tools you all use to track your runs. I started running in September and used my polar HRM in conjunction with the mapmyrun app on my phone since I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with running. I like planning out my route on mapmyrun but now that I'm training for a 10mile run I'm noticing some flaws. My GPS is wildly inaccurate. I just want a more accurate log of my distance and speed. I do have an older iphone so maybe an upgrade would help my gps issues. Now that I know I'm running for the long haul should I invest in a garmin?

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have a iPhone 4 so its an older phone too but all the running apps I tried were totally inaccurate adding miles to my long runs. Map my run was good for planning a basic route but also a bit of a pain. I bought a garmin 210 and haven't regretted it. Its been spot on and super easy to use (unlike my first GPS watch, a timex which I returned)

I just need to know my distance and current pace, average pace, time, lap time. its been great.

I have the heart rate monitor that goes with it but NEVER use it! Maybe on saturday! It would be interesting to know how many calories I burn on a long training run.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and Garmin 610, there is a huge difference in pace calculation between the two, an 8:40 min/mile pace on mapmyrun is actually a 9 min/mile pace on my Garmin, a 5 mile run with Garmin is a 5.25 mile on mapmyrun hence the difference in pace, If you are planning on participating in races you should use a GPS watch which gives you a better estimate of your actual pace, keep in mind that a GPS watch pace is about 5 seconds faster than your real pace.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin all the way. Much more accurate.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Garmin all the way. Much more accurate.

^^this. It's not even close. Garmin is a great company with a great product line, imho. Check out DC Rainmaker's site: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ for comparisons of the different options out there.

Good luck!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I'm happy with my Garmin. I'm even happier to not have to run with my phone.

I have to admit, though... I have a Forerunner 110, and I don't know if it's just this model or what, but sometimes it just dies when I put it on the charger. I've never not been able to resuscitate it, but it pisses me off.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I have to admit, though... I have a Forerunner 110, and I don't know if it's just this model or what, but sometimes it just dies when I put it on the charger. I've never not been able to resuscitate it, but it pisses me off.

See if there is a firmware upgrade for it.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun, Runkeeper, WalkJogRun etc are all dependanr on the pjone's performance and handy as a back up but nowhere near as good as a Garmin. (can't comment about other GPS watches as I've only ever used a Garmin)

What I use Runkeeper for is logging post run, this works really well and I assume will do the same for the other apps. For UK users Good Run Guide is very good too.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I use map my run to figure out a new route to run when looking to change up the routine or running in an area thats new to me. Sometimes the same routes get just plain boring.

I have a Garmin 305 and swear by it. So the map my runs helps me create a map and the Garmin tracks it for me while i run (or ride my bike, I have the cadence monitor on my bike....a lovely add on). Love my Garmin...best investment ever.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Timex Global Trainer.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin 610 and sometimes also use runkeeper on my phone. The runkeeper goes wonky on me when it swaps between wifi and 3G (eg I ran 4 miles, it told me I ran 14.1-through people's homes, across a highway, into a grocery store). Otherwise, the two are generally pretty close. But, I'm very slow-so I'm not making a whole lot of forward progress between satellite pings. I think that helps on the phone side. I generally go with the Garmin data, but even it comes up with significantly varying distances for the same route (as much as 1/2 mile for 4-5 mile run). But it's all close enough for me. I just like the gadgets.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 910xt and I load all my runs on Strava and they auto upload to Garmin Connect.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 910xt and I load all my runs on Strava and they auto upload to Garmin Connect.

I was looking into strava...I didn't realize about the auto upload to GC. Actually, my primary holding place for workouts is Sport Tracks, which I really like. But, I like to have them online, as well.

edit: one thing that isn't great about Sport Tracks is mapping out routes beforehand (you can't), but I find Garmin Connect to be really handy for that.
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. I think after my 10 mile during at the end of May I'm probably going to scale back the distance and train for a 10k and start working on speed work. I'd still like to know an accurate distance and split.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used Map My Run before buying my Garmin- found out Map My Run was pretty inaccurate.
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    I used Map My Run before buying my Garmin- found out Map My Run was pretty inaccurate.

Yeah, it's driving me crazy. I'd love to say I'm running 8 minute miles but I'm most definitely not. I'm also not running crazy zig zags like it thinks I am... I think I'm going to buy myself a Garmin after I finish the Solider Field 10 mile at the end of this month as a reward.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I really really love my Garmin. Can't do it without it. I have the Garmin Forerunner 210 with the heart rate monitor. Awesome and simple to use. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles and crazy analysis capabilities, but it serves my needs. It's also not as big as some of the other models. Love that watch to pieces!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Garmin all the way. Besides my iPhone battery would never last the length of some of my long runs and races. I have the 310XT specifically for the long battery life.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options

See if there is a firmware upgrade for it.

Nope. Kind of a moot point now anyway; I already figured out how to deal with its BS. :) It's not an uncommon problem, either, just weird... sometimes it's like the charger drains the battery entirely rather than charging it.