"Nightmare in Silver" by Neil Gaiman' - Series 7, episode 12

Options

Replies

• rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this... wellll... apart from the bratty kids... but then, if you do your math, Neil Gaiman + Cybermen = Awesomeness :)

Can't believe we're almost at the penultimate episode already...
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    This looks promising.

But Doctor of Borg ... Really?
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    Wellll... yeah... I kinda thought the same thing... It reminded me of a ST:TNG and Doctor Who crossover comic a co-worker has where - surprise - they battle the Cybermen. Hmmmm.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    A bad combo of ST:TNG, the Matrix and the Cybermen. I thought Smith was awful in this episode, not his strongest outing to date, but I liked the story line, but again it took too long to set up and then closed it out in less than 2 minutes....
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Let's just say I was disappointed and leave it at that.
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    LOL!!! In general, I liked it.... but yes, it definitely could have been better. The Borgified aspect was annoying.. I wonder why they did that... I mean, surely everyone would be thinking that it's just the same as the Borg? Seemed a bit weak to me.

The schizo Doctor was irritating... and I don't believe that Cyber version of the Doctor would be hyper like that. The whole point of Cybermen is that they've been upgraded and consequently purged of emotion... and yet the Cyber Doctor seemed to be angry, arrogant and proud the whole time. No very machine like.

...and he got rid of the implants very easily, of course...

BUT Warwick Davis was great. Loved him. I was so glad to see him in a role with some substance, rather than just being the token fun side character. He's very under-used as an actor. He did an outstanding job and I hope I see more of him in TV and film soon.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I thought he was excellent as Emperor Porridge too!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm a big TNG fan and it didn't really remind me of the Borg at all :\

I thought schizo Doctor was a good performance. He was emotional/etc. because he was the Cyber Planner, the intelligent commander of the Cybermen, and not a drone like the others get turned into. Plus it was quite clear that their two personalities were somewhat merged, when the Doctor said he had good news and it turned out to be the Cyber Planner's good news.

I thought him saying 9 and 10's catchphrases was brilliant. At first I didn't even catch 9's, I was just wondering why the Doctor seemed to have a different accent for a second. Oh yes, he was doing 9's accent. and the "Allons-y"? Yes. Intense.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    P.S. The scene where Porridge said he felt like a monster for pitying the person who had to push the button more than that billion trillion people who died, then the Doctor pops up... knowing we pity him for pushing the button on the Time Lords.

Feels.
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    Great catch on the Doctor being responsibile for a billion deaths... I missed that!

I *did* notice the catchphrases though... thought that was a nice touch :)
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    warwick davis stole the show, clara still has no personality, matt smith this time overplayed it. good material, even if i went LOOK ELEVENTH OF NINE when he poped with the borg attachment, neil gaiman still rocks, i am still dissapointed with this season, tho i blame it on the companion. Just don't feel anything from her, everything feels like filler episodes, tho this one was pretty decent filler episode :)

Warwick davis!

PS: was i the only one that wanted the kids to die ? 1)no kids on dr who, it aint sunday familly 10pm movie 2)CLARA MAYBE WILL DEVELOP AS CHARACTER?!

PS 2.
    Don't get me started on how i miss River Song, The Ponds and my beloved Donna. I miss them so much.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The Doctor needs Donna back.
  • weefreemen
    Options

Gawd yes.... and we need a new Doctor, sorry to all the Matt Smith fans, but he just feels like he's treading water waiting to move to Hollywood, Go already....
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Gawd yes.... and we need a new Doctor, sorry to all the Matt Smith fans, but he just feels like he's treading water waiting to move to Hollywood, Go already....

I dunno. It seems like he's making the best of it that he can. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's Moffat that needs to go.
  • weefreemen
    Options

I dunno. It seems like he's making the best of it that he can. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's Moffat that needs to go.

You are most likely right, it's usually the writing and production that's at fault. I wish Moffat would do the same job on Doctor Who that he does on Sherlock. Mind you with a new co-Executive Producer/Director, maybe he's easing out... Much like Tennant and Davies left together...
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    "no kids on dr who, it aint sunday familly 10pm movie "

I agree... no kids... because you know nothing permanently bad will happen to them so even as a plot device they're a waste of time...

...however, Doctor Who started as a kid's show... in England it has a strong cultural association because people always say they watched Doctor Who as as kid from behind the sofa.... even now, if you watch the 2010 Who At The Proms you'll see a lot of kids in the audience.

It really does appeal to people of all ages :)