Recording my exercise

Livingdeadnurse
Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
Is it "double dipping". When I put my exercise in myfitnesspal even when I am wearing my flex during the work out?

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    It depends on what it is - if it's walking or running, then probably yes. If it's something where my activity isn't accurately measured by my tracker (like yoga) then I do add the activity in MFP. I wonder if MFP and Fitbit compare times and automatically adjust if you do "double dip."
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Found this under help section about fitbit in myfitnesspal

Will my exercise calories be counted twice now that I'm using Fitbit and MyFitnessPal?

By entering the time you begin your cardio exercise, the calories burned, and the number of minutes you exercised, MyFitnessPal and fitbit.com can correctly reconcile your cardio exercise with the increased activity recorded by your Fitbit during that period of time. Without the start time and the minutes exercised, it is likely that your increased activity level would be accounted for twice: once when you log it on MyFitnessPal, and once when your Fitbit reports increased activity. Entering the start time ensures that your Net Calorie Goal is not adjusted twice for the same cardio workout. The exercise calories you log with MyFitnessPal will replace the calorie data estimated by your Fitbit for that period of time.

Here is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/312-will-my-exercise-calories-be-counted-twice-now-that-i-m-using-fitbit-and-myfitnesspal

So the way I take it is if you have the updated myfittnesspal app when you get ready to log your cardio/walk/jog and it will adjust if calories are off. Sometimes they are off to my advantage. What the treadmill records has actually been less than what my armband records. But when i do weight lifting the arm band is less than mfp. So it adjusts accordingly.
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Wow...good to know, maybe its a good thing my flex isn't here yet. I can read up on all these types of things.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Good to know it does factor that in.

I take a Zumba class on Tuesday nights. If I enter that time as Zumba, it actually drops my calorie burn total because the class I take is apparently more intense than what it considers the average class. So I don't enter it - I'd rather get the real data from the steps my fitbit is counting I actually took during the class. Anyway - the point is you have to watch, because sometimes it will downward deviate when you actually did the work.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Good to know it does factor that in.

I take a Zumba class on Tuesday nights. If I enter that time as Zumba, it actually drops my calorie burn total because the class I take is apparently more intense than what it considers the average class. So I don't enter it - I'd rather get the real data from the steps my fitbit is counting I actually took during the class. Anyway - the point is you have to watch, because sometimes it will downward deviate when you actually did the work.

I haven't noticed that problem. It actually gave me + 125 calories fit bit recorded. Except today. I got a negative number. Apparently I didn't work out as hard as MFP put circuit training calories that I posted. got -125 :( I guess i need to push a little harder.
  • That leads me to another question,
    When I put in Zumba or P90 x, on my iphone app there wasn't any calorie estimations put in already, and those are quite common exercise programs.... Not sure how to log them so the calories are already estimated...?
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Here is where you get you P90x calories if you are not using your flex to figure it out.

http://p90xcalories.com/

Here is your zumba calculator

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Hope that helps