So hungry!

Options
misscrazO
misscrazO Posts: 33 Member
I am starving! Not sure how many calories I should be eating. I still want to lose as I am big and can most likely do it safely. I am 375 pounds and pregnant with my 9th. I am due the end of December or 1st week of January.

I started eating healthy and bam.. got pregnant. I had 2 losses last year so am optimistic but also scared.

Replies

• jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to figure a good daily calorie intake is too. I just lost 7 lbs, and got pregnant. So I know exactly how you feel. I was eating 1500/day, then when I found out I was pregnant, I went up to 1700, but still lost 2 lbs in one week, so I bumped it up to 1800/day this week. I think I am just going to see what that does for me over the next week, then increase if I need to. My goal is to not gain any weight for the first three months.

I haven't been pregnant yet, where I can resist mexican food. I have been eating the taco bell chicken fresco menu (two chicken tacos, or one chicken burrito for 300 cal.) totally worth it to me.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Though women who began pregnancy with extra weight are not encouraged to gain to the same extent as women starting the process with less weight, to my knowledge intentional weight loss during pregnancy is not recommended; but do discuss this with your OB. Per my Internet research, recommended weight gain for women underweight (with a BMI of 18.5 or lower) is 28-40 lbs.; normal weight (BMI of 18.5-24.9), 25-35 lbs.; overweight (BMI of 25.0-29.9), 15-25 lbs.; obese (BMI of 30.0 or greater), 11-20 lbs. These stats pertain to carrying a single baby, multiples would obviously present exceptions; and naturally, there may be exceptions from woman to woman. Again, discuss with your OB to assess your individual requirements, tailored to you.

As far as calorie requirements during pregnancy, the general rule seems to be Maintenance level intake in the 1st trimester, an additional 200-300 cal./day in the 2nd, 300-400 extra in the 3rd, and 500 extra if breastfeeding. Some pregnant women on MFP adjust their Fitness Goals to "Maintain my current weight" for the 1st trimester, "Gain 1/2 lb./wk." for the 2nd, and "Gain 1 lb./wk." for the 3rd.

Congratulations on your little one! :) I am 17w2d along with my 2nd.
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to maintain recently but it seems like a big calorie allowance. I am pregnant AND breast feeding though, so I suppose I need it. You shouldn't let yourself be too hungry, but maybe try water and rest. I know I feel hungry sometimes when really my body is tired. You probably know all this considering you are on your ninth!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I will be 15 weeks tomorrow with my fifth child and am still managing to lose weight. I was advised not to gain more than 7 to 14lbs this pregnancy. I have my calories set to maintenance, but only ever eat back half of my exercise calories at the most (usually). For me, this means I am still eating over 2000 calories a day, so I'm not worried about whether 'bump' is getting enough, but to make sure I also take a daily pregnancy vitamin. Staying under my calorie goal a little bit each day (by exercising) means I'm losing half a pound to a pound a week still. I'm sure as baby gets bigger and I slow down I'll end up gaining in the last trimester of this pregnancy like I'm meant to, with a little leeway due to the weight I've lost.

Perhaps you may be able to do something similar? I can't say that I'm ever left hungry at the end of the day.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Though women who began pregnancy with extra weight are not encouraged to gain to the same extent as women starting the process with less weight, to my knowledge intentional weight loss during pregnancy is not recommended; but do discuss this with your OB. Per my Internet research, recommended weight gain for women underweight (with a BMI of 18.5 or lower) is 28-40 lbs.; normal weight (BMI of 18.5-24.9), 25-35 lbs.; overweight (BMI of 25.0-29.9), 15-25 lbs.; obese (BMI of 30.0 or greater), 11-20 lbs. These stats pertain to carrying a single baby, multiples would obviously present exceptions; and naturally, there may be exceptions from woman to woman. Again, discuss with your OB to assess your individual requirements, tailored to you.

As far as calorie requirements during pregnancy, the general rule seems to be Maintenance level intake in the 1st trimester, an additional 200-300 cal./day in the 2nd, 300-400 extra in the 3rd, and 500 extra if breastfeeding. Some pregnant women on MFP adjust their Fitness Goals to "Maintain my current weight" for the 1st trimester, "Gain 1/2 lb./wk." for the 2nd, and "Gain 1 lb./wk." for the 3rd.

Congratulations on your little one! :) I am 17w2d along with my 2nd.

^This, basically.

OP, you may be just fine losing weight - I don't know - but PLEASE don't try to keep losing until you talk to your doctor/midwife first about it.

Also, I am terribly sorry about your previous losses, and I hope and pray that you have a happy, healthy pregnancy.

Congratulations and welcome to the group! :heart:
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time staying within my maintenance level right now. I am at 1200 calories and I'm 11 weeks pregnant today. I upped it to 1500 calories because I felt like I was starving myself even though I'm eating foods that are good for me and only junk food here and there, which I always did. My exercise level has decreased but has recently picked up due to the lovely morning sickness finally subsiding. I gained 50+ lbs with my 3 boys and I don't want to gain that much this time around, but if that is what my body does even though I work to eat healthy and exercise, then that's the way it shall be!!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to a Dr or midwife first. I'm 37 1/2 weeks now eating 2k+ calories per day. I started at 214lbs and I've gained about 7lbs total but gotten smaller everywhere but my belly. I think the baby is lipoing the goop out of me.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    awolf2011 wrote:
    I'm having a hard time staying within my maintenance level right now. I am at 1200 calories and I'm 11 weeks pregnant today. I upped it to 1500 calories because I felt like I was starving myself even though I'm eating foods that are good for me and only junk food here and there, which I always did. My exercise level has decreased but has recently picked up due to the lovely morning sickness finally subsiding. I gained 50+ lbs with my 3 boys and I don't want to gain that much this time around, but if that is what my body does even though I work to eat healthy and exercise, then that's the way it shall be!!
    Considering 1,200 calories/day is the absolute minimum a body needs to adequately function, I have great difficulty believing such a low number could be your maintenance level (unless you're incredibly tiny!) Many women diet on 1,200 calories per day. Please recheck your numbers!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Also, don't forget you're allowed/encouraged to up your daily calories by another 200-300 once you hit the 2nd trimester. :) (See my above response to the OP for more specifics on pregnancy calories.)