Help with squats (video)

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I know I am not going low enough so what can I do to help that. Beyond that what am I doing wrong??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgZ6ezwwKM&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    push your knees out, almost like your feet are on plates and you need to twist them outwards. you are internally rotating on your up movement, plus pushing your knees outwards will allow you to drop lower more easily. you could also probably go a few inches wider until your mobility improves as long as you can still push your knees outwards during the whole movement.

i would also push your butt back more and drop the bar into a lowbar back squat, you are leaning forwards a lot for such a high bar position so you are working your quads a lot more than your whole leg.

maybe try some box-squats to get your technique down really good (plus they are awesome for breaking through plateaus)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you aren't going lower? When you air squat, how far down do you go? Your stance looks fairly wide, and your toes look pointed out. . .are you worried about falling down? If so, a box squat as Booya suggests would really help you learn to trust your body not to fall over.

Also, don't try to 'drop' into the squat - lower yourself in a controlled manner, pushing your knees out the whole time. With a wider stance, and your toes pointed out, and moving a little slower, you will probably find yourself going much lower. With a little practice, you'll find the point at the bottom of the squat that will allow you to bounce UP (again, in control) out of the squat - this is where the 'ripping the floor apart with your heels' trick comes in to play. Try lowering your weight for a few sessions to see if you can work on the depth and bounce issues, maybe.

I agree with Booya, you do seem to be leaning a little too far forward, such that the bar is traveling over your toes instead of the middle of your foot. If you widen your hands, you might be able to get the bar a bit lower, and that might correct the lean. As you gain flexibility in your shoulders, you can start to work your hands back in. I can't see your hands in the video, but your arms look like they are in a great position - high and back, which makes a great shelf for the bar out of your muscles - so use it! :smile:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    To me it looks like your right elbow points back and your left elbow points down. Try this video:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_the_squat_bar_position
  • kopmom
    Options
    Ok so I lowered my weight today and got down lower for sure. Felt weird but I did feel like I was using more of my full body and just not my legs like before when I was not getting low enough. I also lowered the bar on my back

Thanks for the feedback !
  • kopmom
    Options
    Ok so I lowered my weight today and got down lower for sure. Felt weird but I did feel like I was using more of my full body and just not my legs like before when I was not getting low enough. I also lowered the bar on my back

Thanks for the feedback !