Lifting with slipped disc

Options
sixpacklady
sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
Anyone with a slipped disc doing heavy lifting successfully? Did the back problems get better with lifting as your core got stronger?

I am starting to heavy lift, but just a little worried about my back...

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunWestyRun
    RunWestyRun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a slipped disc (partial) which only happened about 5 - 6 weeks ago. I only started Stronglifts 2 weeks ago but so far so good. I was told as long as I kept super strict form with core fully engaged in order to protect my lower back I should be fine.

It is any twisting motion that I have to avoid and I can't do any form of crunch. Lifitng straight uo and down seems to be no problem. My back is definitely feeling better but I think it is too soon to attribute it to the lifting (although I do think it is helping to some extent)

The only thing I can't do are the pendlay rows as my back is still to tight to get into the right position.

I definitely wouldn't start any exercise until the initial acute inflammation has died down and def recommend getting a professional opinion before lifting. My Physio told me that in the long run lifting will strengthen the muscle in my back and hopefully prevent it happening again.

Good luck x
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    Options
    So I have like... a lot of questions.

Is your back problem symptomatic? Have you been cleared by your physician? Are you currently in rehab/physical therapy or have you done it before?

By 'slipped disc' do you mean disc bulge or full herniation?

Here's what I know - people do it successfully. A lot of people actually have a disc bulge which is asymptomatic and they don't even know it. There are plenty of stories of serious power lifers who have slipped a disc and returned to sport. However these are serious injuries and you are right to be a little concerned/careful with your back. If you have a bulge you are of course at greater risk for herniation. So for you, form, form, form, form, FORM! :wink: Absolutely no butt winking or rounding of the lowe back (I'm assuming you mean a lumbar disc). I would also recommend doing extra core work, more stabilization type less strength type, and pelvic floor, to support your low back.

Generally speaking, pain is a good guide. If it hurts, it's making it worse. So listen to your body! The stabilization required to lift definitely has the potential to help, provided you activate your core, use good form, and keep your spine in a neutral position throughout the movements.