SOS: Shout out Sundays 5/5/2013

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
What did you learn this week? Celebrations, frustrations, more?

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I learned that the saying that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your family, and 12 weeks for your friends can sometimes take longer and be backwards, it's been a month since I started eating for nutrition instead of weight loss (with slip ups and steps backwards). I can't say my family has noticed a difference because my family isn't here, but my trainer has been commenting over the past few weeks that she can see a difference, this past week, one of my coworkers (and friends) commented that I looked like I had started losing when I said something to my immediate coworker she said she could see it too, after that I looked, and I can see it a little (it's not happening where I want it to yet. So, things are starting to change (I have not gotten on a scale yet, I am not ready for the backslide that would cause if I see the numbers because I know if I saw I had gained I would be upset and give up again, so not going there yet.)
  • LynndaThompson
    Options
    that is awesome that you have been eating healthy for a month! have you considered measuring yourself every 2-4 weeks instead of weighing? measurements don't lie, but the scale does! the scale doesn't tell you how much muscle you have gained, (it weighs more than fat), how much waste is in your intestines, water weight, ect. it just gives you a number wich can be really discouraging at times. measurements are a more accurate way to see results. When you see that you have lost inches rather than a few pounds, you will be pumped and want to keep going:)
  • yolste07
    yolste07 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with LyndaThompson, I have never like getting on the scales, but everyone including your doctor measure how you are doing by your scales. I have been doing a detox for 3 wks and I can now go shopping in my closet I am loving it. I have not been on the scales. I have that measuring thing that you can use but I have not figured it out yet. My ankles have not been swollen when I come home from work and my shoes are fitting better than before. So Rachekh6 stay off those scales if you can. One last thought the good thing about losing inches is your clothes will tell you everything you need to know (LOL). Have a great Sunday
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    http://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/05/find-your-motivation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+ShrinkingJeans+(Shrinking+Jeans)

This is what happened to me this week. For the past year and a half I have been on MFP my ponch to exercise is not what it was when I first lost weight and had zeal! I exercised 6 days a week and did all sorts of classes etc. Well, my life is not the same it was those years ago either! I have had to find my 'exercise goals' again. What is good for my body? What is realistic that fits in my time? What will keep my at this weight? What will help me loss?
    Well, as you all know I found another motivation in the article I read on what you do now will effect how you will be in old age. Amazing how just that fact kicked me in the butt big time! My whole focus is different...my MOTIVATION is recharged.

I also discovered I eat too much...meaning if I want to be the size I was I need to lose some more weight...I realized I am greedy and not a good thing...just being honest. I like eating a whole banana versus half of it but then I must accept the consequences. Oh boy!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I started a 30 day squat challenge as well as a 30 day crunches challenge on the 1st and it's really encouraged me to do more calisthenic type of exercises. I forgot how good it feels to do sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, etc. It makes me feel so much stronger afterwords and I love the feeling of my muscles being sore, but in the good way where you know you worked hard. I'm hoping to continuously increase my reps and amounts throughout this month and then continue it on through the summer. I sometimes forget that while cardio is important for me because it burns a lot of calories and I, you know, love to eat a lot of calories (LOL), it's also important to do strength training and build muscles. When I lose a bunch of my fat I don't want to find just more fat sitting underneath it, I want to find muscle! :smile:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Trainer guy had to look at my numbers yesterday to make sure I wasn't losing too much weight too quickly. I don't think I've ever heard that in my life, ever.

And if you haven't read Beatrixia's blog post you should:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/beatrixia/view/what-to-do-when-one-finds-oneself-on-the-wrong-bus-527795
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I agree with LyndaThompson, I have never like getting on the scales, but everyone including your doctor measure how you are doing by your scales. I have been doing a detox for 3 wks and I can now go shopping in my closet I am loving it. I have not been on the scales. I have that measuring thing that you can use but I have not figured it out yet. My ankles have not been swollen when I come home from work and my shoes are fitting better than before. So Rachekh6 stay off those scales if you can. One last thought the good thing about losing inches is your clothes will tell you everything you need to know (LOL). Have a great Sunday
    Thanks Lynda and Yolste07! I'm not quite ready to see measurements yet either, but I do have to say that I noticed this past week when I wore my dress pants (I usually wear scrubs unless I'm teaching or going to meetings) that they weren't quite as snug as they have been in the past, not loose enough to say "Oh WOW" but enough to say "Hey, I don't have to pull my pants up every time I stand up because the waistband rolled down below my fat roll, the waist band stayed where it belongs!"
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I like exercise better now. And all the work I've done this winter has given me a better bike experience. Peace to everyone.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am in the phase of learning to maintain and not desire to see a loss on the scale. It is hard because I tend to work to see a result. It is hard to train my brain to understand that maintaining is a result.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I am in the phase of learning to maintain and not desire to see a loss on the scale. It is hard because I tend to work to see a result. It is hard to train my brain to understand that maintaining is a result.

So, here's a little challenge for you. Now that you've finished with the scale, pick up some weights and see if you can get tough? I'm seeing a mess of women get over the stigma of weighlifting. It's rather inspiring. None of them are the least bit bulky either.