Does this count?

Options
Dancerten
Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
I deadlifted 175lbs today, BUT, I had to take a breather between reps. I did two reps consecutively, and then the next three with about a 30 second rest between each. Does that count as a successful lift? I know for a fact that I won't be able to go up to 180lbs next time, so should I stay at 175 until I can complete all 5 reps consecutively or should I drop to a weight that I can complete consecutively and increase with fractional weights? Thanks!

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Oh that counts! And that's some SERIOUS WEIGHT!!!! Great work!
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats for pushing through and not giving up on it! Definitely a successful lift IMO. If it was me, I would do 175 again next workout and see if I could decrease the rest time. I wouldn't drop weight unless I was still struggling with it on the third try. Just my two cents. Also, are you using chalk? I found that it really helped me increase weight on the deadlifts. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    You lift it, it counts! I've re-racked with OHP and bench before just to get reset. I say do what you need to do. Move up when you can do all 5 reps in a row since that will give you the confidence to get into the next weight.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Absolutely counts - or at least, I count mine when I need to take a little break. Deadlifts get your heart rate up like nothing else, so it's common sense to take a little break. I'm at the same weight, and took a second time at it for the very same reason!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I guess I'll just keep on pushing with the 175 and then try going up by 1lb at a time once I can get through it without breaks :smile:

As for the chalk, I don't feel like I've reached my grip strength limit yet... It was my legs that were quitting lol! But I will keep that in mind for sure when I start reaching my max grip strength, thanks :flowerforyou: