I Can't Get My Deadlift Right!

Options
marinadanielle
marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
I've been doing 5x5 for about 6 weeks, including a major deload to work on form and switch from parallel to ATG squats. My squats and bench have gotten better, but my overhead press and deadlift are still suffering. With the OHP it's just a matter of sucking up my pride and using my fractional plates, but I just can't seem to fix my deadlift no matter what I do! I know the set up is feet shoulder width apart, grip slightly outside of that, drop hips to keep back arched, keep bar against shins, and pull. But even when I do this correctly, I feel like the bar floats away from my body, I'm leaning forward slightly when I'm supposed to be on lockout, and most frustratingly, my grip starts to give out! I started using chalk and it hasn't gotten any better. Last time I only made it through 3 reps because my grip was slipping and the bar was practically ripping the calluses on my hand open. I'm not sure what else to do. I feel like such a failure because the deadlift is such an important lift and after 6 weeks I still haven't figured it out. I'd appreciate any advice!

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Try the "knuckles down" cue to help keep the bar close. Remember to keep your arms perpendicular to the ground as you pull from the ground.

Also, check out this video about managing calluses:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_managing_calluses
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could do is try doing a rack pull until you get the form mastered and then move to your deadlift from the floor.

In terms of your grip, use your hands like hooks where the bar sits more on your fingers then in the palm of your hand.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I have read- but not tried- that a mixed grip should be good. You know, one hand over and one under the bar. I don´t know what it´s like in USA, but in Denmark it´s totally "legal" to use gloves. Everybody does, since chalk is not allowed.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I have read- but not tried- that a mixed grip should be good. You know, one hand over and one under the bar. I don´t know what it´s like in USA, but in Denmark it´s totally "legal" to use gloves. Everybody does, since chalk is not allowed.

Mixed grip is better. Where is chalk not allowed? Are you referring to power lifting competitions?
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options

Mixed grip is better. Where is chalk not allowed? Are you referring to power lifting competitions?
    In the gyms. I have never been a place where you could use it. Nor heard of. But maybe I´m wrong.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    As others have said, change to mixed grip as the lift gets heavier, you might find that changes the whole dynamic. Also you can widen your stance a little, anywhere between shoulder width to pretty wide is fine for deads (sumo being the widest stance of course) The key to lifting is practising. As your lifts get heavier, going back to basics and keeping form in check is always a good idea.

p.s. Are you bringing your hips forward just before lock out? Squatting and deading and other power lifts use the hips to push forward and up. And you are not a failure! You are trying hard and you are strong, keep at it...it takes time!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip did it for me. Instead of pulling, I now feel like I'm pushing the bar away from the floor with my feet. The mixed grip takes the work away from your arms and forces it more to your lower body/legs/hips, with your upper body doing more stabilizing work. Much better on my back too (which was giving me fits before).
  • marinadanielle
    marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

I was reading about mixed grip, but I got the feeling that it was moreso for those who were lifting heavier weight. My dead, even after 6 weeks, is only at 125! Should I still give it a try even though my deadlift isn't heavy yet?

nexangelus: In theory I'm attempting to bring my hips forward (I saw one video that described it as a "glute explosion" type of movement which I imagine would achieve a similar effect), but I feel like in practice in turns into more of an arm pull than a back exercise with hip drive for me. Part of the reason for my initial deload was because i realized I was actually bending my arms and pulling up!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree with you in that you should not need a mixed grip at 125. I am wondering if you have plates that are the same diameter as the 45s? If you are forced to start your pull from a lower position, some of what you describe makes sense, especially if you have longer legs relative to your torso length.

If this is the case, you might try using blocks or plates to get the bar height where it would be if you were using 45s. Of course, once you reach 135 you will no longer have to do this for your work sets, but you still should for your warm up sets.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump - great thread - gotta save this.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

I was reading about mixed grip, but I got the feeling that it was moreso for those who were lifting heavier weight. My dead, even after 6 weeks, is only at 125! Should I still give it a try even though my deadlift isn't heavy yet?

I'm only at 125 for my DL, but the mixed grip helps me keep my form right. Because you can't really "pull" a whole lot when you have your hands positioned like this, it forces your lower body to pick up the slack, and you won't risk hurting your lower back.

I know that traditionally people switch to a mixed grip to keep the bar from slipping at higher weights; but I switched to force myself to keep good form and take the load off my lower back. It's more of a mental prop for me than a physical one, if that makes sense.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Personally, I switched to mixed grip at 135, but as I continue to progress, I can now use a normal grip for 165. Essentially, your grip strength will improve.

Also, you mention that the bar floats away from your body. Do you feel stable on your feet? Is you body weight shifting forward to the balls of your feet at all (I had this problem at first mostly because my sense of balance sucks). If you are having problems with your balance, make sure you're wearing appropriate shoes (not running shoes). Your shoes should be relatively flat soled without much cushion. Lots of people recommend chucks, although I lift in some sketchers because I already had them (they aren't athletic shoes).
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add:

Often grip is an issue for folks with smaller hands/shorter fingers. This is why they make a women's bar for Olympic lifting that has a smaller diameter bar - so that shorter fingered women can hook grip. Your grip strength will improve, but in light of this I think moving to a mixed grip earlier might help a lot.

Also, second the person who mentioned the right shoes. Find some non-squishy soles to lift in, if you are lifting in running shoes.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube & search Mark Rippetoe Deadlift & watch his videos. He is VERY good and when I started using his form, I started making good progress.