WEEK 4 DAY 17

Options
14 Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region. 15 He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17 The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
that the blind will see,
that the oppressed will be set free,
19 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.”

Replies

• MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    OBSERVATION/APPLICATION: I do not feel that I am any of these - poor, captive, blind or oppressed.... I'm not quite sure how to apply that....

Dear Lord,
    Thank you for your Word. I'm having difficulty applying this to myself - shall I consider myself delivered from these things? I am happy that you will deliver those in poor, captive, blind or oppressed conditions and thank you for blessing me, that these do not currently describe me. Please help me to be thankful for your blessing and not to worry about the small, insignificant matters in life. Help me to focus on the big picture. Please forgive my sins and continue to bless my family. Please bring my husband to you in your own time, Lord, help me to be a faithful, loyal and respectful wife to him. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 4:13-19
    14 Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region. 15 He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17 The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, 19 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.”

OBSERVATION
    The synagogue mentioned here was a place of worship, sort of like the church or home fellowship today. This is where the Jews worshipped on the Sabbath. It is quite interesting to see how perfect Jesus was but yet He took the time to go. I think here He was setting an example for us. Not only that but here in His hometown He was revealing Himself to them although they didn't see it. They didn't catch it. He was professing to be The One who is sent to save and deliver. It surprises me that even today people don't see Jesus as the Son of God. They don't believe in Him.

APPLICATION
    Since we have the Holy spirit within us, we were given power to do the works of Jesus Christ (John 4:37 "Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.") Strengthening my faith as I read more of God's word, I hope to be in a position to allow God to use me.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, the more I read the more is revealed of your Son Jesus Christ. Help me to be about your business while your Favor is upon me (us). Since my family has gotten bigger, my time with you has dropped but I ask that you help me balance everything out. I thank you in advance. I pray in Christ Jesus' name. Amen.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Observation: Jesus came to set the blind, oppressed those held captive to be set free.

Application: I don't have to be held captive over the things my dad spoke over me or the abuse I endured in my childhood, and I don't have to be alone or held captive anymore. I can come to the Holy Spirit and be freed from all those things.

Prayer: I come before you holy spirit and I ask to be set free from all the traumas I endured in childhood from the abuse of my dad and his family to the words of negativity spoken over me and being held captive to his control and manipulation. I realize hes been gone for 23 years but I allowed him even in death to have power and control over me. I ask to be set free, to delievered from all these things that enemy oppression must stop now. I ask you to come on the scene and set me free. in Jesus name amen