Why are Kawasakis so much cheaper to insure?

Options
contingencyplan
contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
So I'm looking to sell my SV650 to upgrade to a full on supersport, and one thing I'm taking into account is insurance prices. While getting quotes from both Geico and Progressive I noticed that Kawasakis are MUCH cheaper to insure than other brands. The ZX-6R and ZX-10R supersports of any year from 2003 on up are 50-65% of the insurance cost of equivalent models from Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki. Anyone have any idea why they're so much cheaper to insure?

Replies

• bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I own a Harley and it is all I can do to keep from answering the question:laugh: :laugh: :devil: :drinker:
  • didntfeelcreativetoday
    Options
    Im not sure why the prices would be different between a Kawasaki or Harley Davidson. They are ALL MADE overseas. Harleys are built in two different plants in Thailand and Singapore. The one thing I do know is Insurance companies go by the "chance of theft factor". People are more likely to steal a Harley, strip and sell the parts before stealing a Kawasaki. Most Kawasaki owners do not spend another 5-10$K in aftermarket parts.

I dont care what you ride, just as long as your ride and ride safe.

Keep the rubber touching the pavement and KSU.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why the prices would be different between a Kawasaki or Harley Davidson. They are ALL MADE overseas. Harleys are built in two different plants in Thailand and Singapore. The one thing I do know is Insurance companies go by the "chance of theft factor". People are more likely to steal a Harley, strip and sell the parts before stealing a Kawasaki. Most Kawasaki owners do not spend another 5-10$K in aftermarket parts.

I dont care what you ride, just as long as your ride and ride safe.

Keep the rubber touching the pavement and KSU.

Thanks =) It's just that I've been pricing sportbikes from Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki and I noticed that Suzuki insurance rates tend to run the highest on their GSXR line. Honda's CBR line and Yamaha's YZF-R line are nearly, but not quite, as expensive, and then there's a really huge massive dropoff for Kawasaki. In fact, Kawasaki's 1000cc superbike costs less to insure than the other manufacturers' 600cc supersports. Odd.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why the prices would be different between a Kawasaki or Harley Davidson. They are ALL MADE overseas. Harleys are built in two different plants in Thailand and Singapore.

Just to clarify... Harleys sold in the US are assembled in the US.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why the prices would be different between a Kawasaki or Harley Davidson. They are ALL MADE overseas. Harleys are built in two different plants in Thailand and Singapore.

Just to clarify... Harleys sold in the US are assembled in the US.

YEP,!!!!!!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I pay 150 a month for full coverage on my 2011 zx-6r. I have had six tickets in the last 3yrs though :(