1st day of regular classes

nashai01
nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
Hi, I just completed my foundation classes and today is my first day of the regular classes. I probably shouldn't have looked at the WOD but I did and now I want to skip the class today. I see there is a 1000 meter run today. Running is so hard for me. I wouldn't feel so bad if the run was at the end of the workout but its in the middle. I'm just worried about how embarrassed I'm going to be once finishing the run and having to go back inside to complete the rest of the workout with everyone waiting for me to finish. Can someone please give me some words of encouragement. I don't want to start off skipping classes because if I do it now, I'll skip every time I see a big run like this. :embarassed:

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Don't cherry pick your classes. Its you versus you. Its all about you getting better and making progress. A few weeks down the road and you'll be fine. Like what was I worried about. They won't be waiting for you to finish, they will be cheering you on if you have a good group of people. Thats what crossfit is about, encouraging each other to push to their potential.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    I'm the last one to finish every single workout. Every. Single. Workout. I still keep going back. I have to do 40 burpees today. Doing burpess literally had me crying the last time we did them in a workout. They make me feel fat, out of shape, and generally miserable about myself. I'm still going tonight.

Don't worry about anybody's time but yours. Work on overcoming your fears and those things that are obstacles today. One day, they won't be.

And remember, you are gonna find some things that you completely kick *kitten* doing. Things that come so natrually your trainer will ask you if you've done them in the past. Things that others dread when they see them in the WOD.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    don't ever look at the wod before you go. cherry picking will make you weaker... if running is THAT hard for you talk to the coaches and maybe they can modify it or have you row instead.

finishing last isn't that bad... happens to all of us sometimes :)
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    I like to look at WODs before I go, but it allows me to get psyched up for them. I find that I struggle with more exercises then not, but I look at all of them as growing opportunities. Running is my goat as well and my first WOD after onramp had over 2 miles of running combined. Go, work through it and know that you will be better for it. Each time you push through those runs you will get faster and stronger.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I remember being sooooo intimidated my first time in a real class. My box used to off CF Lite classes. They really weren't any different, but they seemed less intimidating - they wouldn't have the "elite" folks in them, so I just felt more comfortable.

Scale appropriately for you. Don't worry about keeping up with anyone else, but just doing better than what you've done before.

There was this great blog post I read a while ago. It's just a great reminder that while we think others are judging us for what we are struggling to do, they are more likely admiring our courage for taking on that challenge in the first place.

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

You will feel so proud of yourself for going and doing it.
  • nashai01
    Thanks all of you, I will post tomorrow and tell you guys how it went. I guess I'm just a little nervous. I'm going to try to stop looking at the WOD's before I go. Its crazy how nothing else bothers me except running, hopefully in a few months I'll be able to run without the worry.

Thanks again
  • quirkyone1
    quirkyone1 Posts: 78
    Whenever there is running in a WOD, I jokingly warn everyone that they may have to close up the gym before I get back. I'm usually in the bottom 10% of finishing a WOD and running just pretty much guarantees it. However, I'm getting faster. If you skip it, you won't improve. If you let it get you down, you are only defeating yourself.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    on a side note... ive been CFing for 6 months today. i was fit before i went as in i would do the eliptical and lift some heavyish dumbells 4 times a week. the first day of CF i did a running/burpee/KBS ladder and had a hard time running 600meters. i haven't done any additional running at all and the other day our WOD was 5k for time. that is 3.1 miles- my goal was to finish under 35- i finished in 30:25 :) the more you do it the easier it gets, and you will be surprised that all of the exercises that you dominate at that arent running related, actually help your running :)
  • nashai01
    So, I did the class yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't have to do the full 1000 meters, the coaches wanted me to take it easy. I did everything else and the class went fast. I decided that I won't look at the WOD's for now on. I made it bigger than what it was and now I would like to be surprised. I never been so anxious to get to the gym and workout. I guess because its something different everyday which brings the excitement. I do know there will be several things I can't do yet, but after yesterday I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can and cannot do. Thanks again.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Luckily our WOD's aren't posted, it's only when we walk into the box we see what we're up against - I think I'd be in danger of cherry picking also. Glad you enjoyed your class yesterday.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 697 Member
    Do the workout. It'll help you overall. Also, it's not a race. It's about just trying to improve yourself and being supportive with others, just as they will with you. I know, as with my workout crew, we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. I know a guy there who hates running, but could squat a truck. People support each other. I know it's a very positive environment where I work out and I would hope it's the same in yours.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Glad to hear your first class went well. Thank goodness I don't know the WOD before I go (although sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment and I'll ask my friend who does the 5am class!).

I've been CFing for 4 months now, and I still get butterflies in my stomach before every class. CF pushes you FAR out of your comfort zone, and that's a great thing.
  • nashai01
    Glad to hear your first class went well. Thank goodness I don't know the WOD before I go (although sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment and I'll ask my friend who does the 5am class!).

I've been CFing for 4 months now, and I still get butterflies in my stomach before every class. CF pushes you FAR out of your comfort zone, and that's a great thing.

Thanks, I'm so sore from yesterday :)
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Glad you decided to go! Running was my biggest hurdle when I first started CF too - it's still not my favorite, but after being forced to do it in the WODs, it has gotten soooo much easier! I ran 400m carrying a 16-lb sledgehammer two days ago at CF, and actually thought it was fun! :) Best of luck to you as you continue!
  • nashai01
    Glad you decided to go! Running was my biggest hurdle when I first started CF too - it's still not my favorite, but after being forced to do it in the WODs, it has gotten soooo much easier! I ran 400m carrying a 16-lb sledgehammer two days ago at CF, and actually thought it was fun! :) Best of luck to you as you continue!