Recommendations for a trainer???

Options
lklkl5
lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
Hello everyone, rather new to biking. Hubby and I bought comfort bikes a couple months ago. We ride 12-15 miles, 2-3 times a week. I live in the Houston area, so we are now approaching our bad weather season (hot and humid). Anyone have any suggestions for a good trainer, for those days we can't get out early enough or late enough (i.e. cool enough)?

Replies

• Murphdog06
    Murphdog06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've have, over time, acquired quite a collection of trainers. It starting in the 80's with a Sugergo wind trainer (rear wheel spins a turbine), a Minoura rim-drive with a magnetic resistance unit, a Cyclops that has a fluid resistance unit, and a set of rollers.

Of these, my favorite are the rollers but they are an acquired taste. They require a lot of practice initially and I wouldn't recommend them for your first trainer. I would however, recommend a fluid trainer. They are quite quiet and are pretty easy to set up.

The one thing that all trainers have in common, is that they are Boring (note the capital B). So, you'll need music or TV as a distraction. They make you heat up ALOT, so you'll also need to have a fan pointed at you as you workout.

Whichever brand/type you settle on, you will definitely get a good workout though.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a really nice one, the Cycleops ones seem to be pretty much THE choice (starting at $350 and going over $1000).

If you're looking for something a little cheaper, Performance Bike's Travel Trac trainers are not bad and cost about half of the lowest Cycleops (starting about $150).

Both of those are fluid or a combination of fluid and magnetic. You can go even cheaper if you get a fan-trainer, but that will sound like a jet engine straining on take off. Not fun for anyone else who is home.

Definitely get a fan. Without the cooling effect of you moving through the air, you will heat up fast. Be sure to drink a LOT of fluids.

It helps to set up the trainer where you can watch TV, listen to music, or both. It takes a certain mental focus to learn to not be bored.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have a Tacx Genius Turbo Trainer; very expensive, but well worth it IMHO! :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    if it's going to be too hot and humid outdoors, I've got to assume that you're going to be using the trainer indoors in an air-conditioned room - because this winter, in a unheated garage, probably around 2-3c, I needed 2 fans to keep cool, and a mop to clear the floor of sweat afterwards...

If that's the case, then fine - I'd second the Tacx trainers - I've the slightly downmarket version from cloggsy71 - the Bushido, which is good, but frankly, if I was buying again, i'd spend the extra and get the Genius, purely because its capable of providing more powerful/accurate braking forces for climbing drills...
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    My trainer's name is Hans, he is very good, his brother Franz is also excellent. I can give you their numbers. They will pump you up!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    CycleOps Fluid 2 and the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine seem to be where price point and power curve reliability meet.

Oh and I live in Houston. Weather is just starting to get good. Ride outside.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I also should have mentioned that I ride the RacerMate CompuTrainer. I love it to death and think it's the best training tool I've ever bought, but at $1500 it's a bit more than most people want to spend.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Computrainers are great. Especially when you live in a flat location and have a race in the hills.
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Scott091501, I have been enjoying the lovely spring for riding this year but I would hardly call our summers "good" for riding. LOL To each his own, I guess!