Diastasis Recti

Options
Jillsie11
Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
Hey Girls!!

With my first daughter, I didn't focus on getting the weight off super fast. Eventually I did, my stomach got semi-flat, and then I found out I was preggers with baby numero dos.

Lately, I've really been wondering why I'm so close to my pre-pregnancy weight, and yet my stomach is still so flabby. I know, I know- "things just won't look the same" as everyone says. However, in the past, whenever I wanted to flatten my stomach, I just cardio'ed it up and it worked. Didn't have to do any special exercises.

However, when working out the other night with a couple girlfriends, they started talking about "diastasis recti". Apparently it's when your stomach muscles weaken, and eventually separate which happens a lot to pregnant and postpartum women. They "checked me out" and said I have it. Apparently (from their advice), cardio alone won't get my stomach flat this time around. They suggested special exercises. I've been looking online, and I've found some different resources. BUT, I'm wondering if any of you lovely ladies have firsthand experience of this, and any special advice on how to get a semi-flat tummy again??

Any advice appreciated, thanks ladies!

Replies

• BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    No advice but curious on this same topic. I'm pretty close to my pre-prego weight but my pooch is still there.

I've been doing a lot of cardio and Jillian Michaels dvd's. I just started with a lot of plank work- I'm hoping that'll help.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a diastasis recti after my first. I actually saw a physiotherapist who gave me some exercises to do to try and strengthen and repair my core. Definite improvement over time, but never back to pre-baby.
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    I had a diastasis recti after my first. I actually saw a physiotherapist who gave me some exercises to do to try and strengthen and repair my core. Definite improvement over time, but never back to pre-baby.

Mind messaging me some of those exercises (if you remember)?? I'd appreciate it!
  • lazyjane75
    lazyjane75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have this - 6 finger width opening. Do you know how many finger widths your opening is? If it's less than 2, I think the general consensus is don't worry about it.

I have a book called "Lose your mummy tummy" which has exercises to address this problem. And if you google "diastasis recti" you will find others. They kind of worked for me, but it's really easy for everything to open back up. You are supposed to avoid doing most traditional core exercises (crunches, pilates hundreds, yoga boat pose, basically anything that causes you to jacknife) for the rest of your life. Also re-learn how to get out of bed, blow your nose, basically everything that uses your core muscles, to avoid jacknife movements. It is also recommended that you wear a splint to help pull things together.

I worked at it for a while and made some improvements, but everything has since opened back up. I find it difficult to permanently avoid all the changes that they recommend. I have actually resigned myself to a tummy tuck to repair everything once we are sure we are done baby-wise.

I would love to hear from others who have had success with this. It sucks to be told that you are the cutest pregnant lady ever when you are 18 months post-partum!
  • dieKriegerin77
    Options
    Just realized I have this... 3 years after the birth of my son. 3 fracking years! Mine isn't too wide 1-2 fingers, and widest at navel. I just recently aggravated it by doing far too aggressive core workouts (weighted and inverted crunches).

I am going to start the Tupler Technique (including 6 weeks in a splint) within the next week. I plan on documenting my progress. So if you're interested, I'll let you know as I go.
  • shellz20
    shellz20 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi all,

I asked this exact question in the SAHM message board and someone posted a link to this thread. I have a 5 year old and nearly 3 year old and have just been put on the waiting list for surgery to fix my Diastasis Recti . Had an ultrasound to confirm it as exercise was not fixing it at all.

I was told not to do anything that puts too much strain on my abs as it an cause hernias etc so I have been doing leg and arm weights at a high repetition but lighter weight, and lots of cardio. I'm wanting to loose 20kgs before my op. Guessing it will be in a few months but I haven't heard from the hospital yet.

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this operation or has had success fixing their diastasis recti 1 year or so after babies.

Thanks,
    Rochelle
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just came across a user named BeFitMom while reading a pregnancy thread on the general message boards. Under her "Recent Posts" section she has a ton of replies about diastasis recti, and also mentions that you can find her site if you Google "BeFitMom". Might be something worth checking out! :flowerforyou:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    wow, this is my first time hearing about this condition. I have 2 kids, a 3 yr old and a 10 month old. I have done the self test and its actually not too bad. Im on my second round of turbo fire and not new to exercise. I guess this is why i always have pain in my lower back? im not too sure though. Would like to know more info from people!
  • dieKriegerin77
    Options
    I started with some Tupler exercises in early May, but it just didn't feel like the right fit. Seems more appropriate for a very wide gap and directly postpartum. I am three years post, and with a closed DR until I proceeded with an über-agressive core workout. So...

I've been doing MuTuSystem's focus program for three weeks now, and my split is down to just under 1 finger gap! My husband says the flatness is noticeable, and I'm pretty stoked to see some definition returning.

I've also bookmarked BeFitMom because, if I recall correctly, she also has exercises for maintenance during pregnancy. And I imagine it'll be a great addition to my workout should I conceive, again.
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    I just came across a user named BeFitMom while reading a pregnancy thread on the general message boards. Under her "Recent Posts" section she has a ton of replies about diastasis recti, and also mentions that you can find her site if you Google "BeFitMom". Might be something worth checking out! :flowerforyou:

Jodi, I went to her site and ordered her DVD- she has a specific section of workouts for those with diastasis recti!! Ordered it on amazon- will report if it helps:) Thanks again for the resource!