WEEK 4 DAY 18

Options
20 He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down. All eyes in the synagogue looked at him intently. 21 Then he began to speak to them. “The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!”

22 Everyone spoke well of him and was amazed by the gracious words that came from his lips. “How can this be?” they asked. “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?”

23 Then he said, “You will undoubtedly quote me this proverb: ‘Physician, heal yourself’—meaning, ‘Do miracles here in your hometown like those you did in Capernaum.’ 24 But I tell you the truth, no prophet is accepted in his own hometown.

25 “Certainly there were many needy widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the heavens were closed for three and a half years, and a severe famine devastated the land. 26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them. He was sent instead to a foreigner—a widow of Zarephath in the land of Sidon. 27 And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, but the only one healed was Naaman, a Syrian.”

28 When they heard this, the people in the synagogue were furious. 29 Jumping up, they mobbed him and forced him to the edge of the hill on which the town was built. They intended to push him over the cliff, 30 but he passed right through the crowd and went on his way.

Replies

• kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 4:20-30

OBSERVATION
    Jesus came out and stated who He was. He was the One who was sent to save, heal and deliver. He was the awaited Messiah. He quoted verses from Isaiah but was revealing Himself. I think He already knew He wasn't going to be accepted. He wanted to let them be aware of the way they were acting. They held unbelief and criticism in their hearts just as the people did during the time of Elijah which was why God chose Gentiles instead of Jews for deliverance during those times. Elijah was sent to the Gentiles. Of course people who are corrected and cannot take correction (hard heart) will get upset. The people in the synagogue were upset and wanted Jesus gone. In their hearts, they prejudged him looking at his background and where they thought He came from. OHHHH only if they knew exactly where He came from and who He really was. It is so easy judging someone by the way they look, family history, amount of money they come from and all but it is absolutely wrong. Had they given Him the opportunity, they would have been blessed tremendously.

APPLICATION
    It is not good at any point to prejudge someone. Many people have missed their blessing behind doing that. I've learned to be slow to speak, listen and be observant. When you do, you will allow the Holy Spirit to let you know what is right and what is wrong...if someone is good or evil.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, thank you for opportunity to answer when Jesus knocked on my door. I thank you for allowing me to get to know you more. Thank you for truth and the understanding you give as I ask. I pray that I will be a blessing to those around me and that I will continue to grow in your truth. In Jesus Christ's name I pray, Amen.
  • MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    I think it's important to note that despite many needy people, the prophets helped the one directed them by God. I sometimes get overwhelmed thinking "I should be poor? Does that mean get rid of all my things?" or other such similar thoughts. I also find it interesting that a prophet is never accepted in his own home town. Why is that? Are they too familiar with the person so they don't give them enough credit? And if so, do we do this to our own family and friends?

Dear Lord,
    Please open my heart to understand and absorb your word. Bless me with understanding and wisdom, that I may use this to grow stronger in you. Thank you for showing me that there are limits, that we must focus our efforts, not even prophets can save all the lepers or widows. Grant me focus and willpower. Please forgive my sins, Lord, in Jesus' name, Amen.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Observation: Jesus points out the predjudice againist those in his own country. when he states a prophet is without honor in his own country. We have a lot of prejudices today towards people we know nothing about and get preconceived ideas about who they are.

Application: It's important to embrace people for who they are, when someone speaks a message to us we have never heard before we must be open minded about the message

Prayer: i ask your forgiveness for any prejudices I have had towards other people and any judgmentalness towards others.
    help me to be someone who embraces others for who they are and I ask you to remove all judgementalness from my life as being judgmental is not a character of a true christian believer.