Plodded my way through my first half marathon....

Options
j_courter
j_courter Posts: 999 Member
This past weekend I ran my first half marathon, the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon. I still hate the term "mini"... 13.1 miles doesn't seem mini to me. My conservative goal time was 2:40 but I was really hoping for a 2:30 finish. There were 35,000 people in this run and I started WAY back in the "V" corral. Long story short, I felt strong for all but the last .75 miles but I gritted through. In fact, marathonphoto got a great "grit" photo at the finish. Official time 2:17:17.

I'm ready to start training for Chicago, which I will run in October. I hope I'm not crazy, but my goal is simply to finish!

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Hey, we'll done. I wouldn't call that plodding, that's a very respectable time. Good effort.
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    Great job! I'm hoping to do a half someday, and would be thrilled with a time like what you had :) Good for you!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good time to me, top work. Is Chicago a full marathon, hence your only goal to finish ? Surely if it's just another half then you have nothing to worry about as you breezed through your first one.

Did you enjoy the whole experience ?
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That's a great time, I'd be thrilled with it. Also you now have a marker, a PB, something to beat....
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    This past weekend I ran my first half marathon, the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon. I still hate the term "mini"... 13.1 miles doesn't seem mini to me. My conservative goal time was 2:40 but I was really hoping for a 2:30 finish. There were 35,000 people in this run and I started WAY back in the "V" corral. Long story short, I felt strong for all but the last .75 miles but I gritted through. In fact, marathonphoto got a great "grit" photo at the finish. Official time 2:17:17.

I'm ready to start training for Chicago, which I will run in October. I hope I'm not crazy, but my goal is simply to finish!

That is an awesome time. My first AND second half marathons my time was 2:21 it took my third to really improve (just ran it this past Sunday 2:02:38) are you training fo the Chicago full? I am debating about running my first full in October also.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, Chicago is a full marathon. I'm still not sure if I'll follow a training plan or even if I'll attempt to run the whole race... I may shoot for a walk/run, depending on how my training progresses. I think I'll be okay cardio wise, but I'm not sure how my body will handle all the extra miles.

The half was a fun experience, but I think I'll be putting in a time for proper seeding if I attempt this race again! There were close to 31,000 finishers and I imagine I probably passed close to 15,000 people!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great job on the half! Gotta love those race photos! I think your time is awesome. My one and only half (Detroit '09) was 2:44 using a run/walk program. Another half is in my future - my dream one is Avenue of the Giants.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think that is an awesome time! Not plodding in my opinion. :P Great job.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, good for you! 13.1 is no small feat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well done, fantastic time!

I ran my first half-marathon last night, time was just a fraction under 2 hrs 30, which I'm delighted with.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Well done, fantastic time!

I ran my first half-marathon last night, time was just a fraction under 2 hrs 30, which I'm delighted with.

Awesome job
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Thank you!

I can definitely say, that 12 week training plan I followed was the key. Running's mental - its all about having the confidence that you can do this, you can make it. And knowing that I'd followed a plan helped me with that self-belief.

Another very important factor was that I'd used parts of the actual route for some of my training runs. So every so often I'd turn a corner and go "Oh I know this road, I know where the hills are, I know what's round the corner.....I know I can run this"

I do so want a T-shirt that says "I run this mother!"
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing it and beating your goal time! That's awesome!!
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hey that's fantastic!